Chapter 21

Edward looked up from his computer where he was job hunting. He was hoping to actually find a career like Carlisle had but, in the meantime, he wanted to find a job he could do while he attended college. He was seriously considering medicine since it was easy to move around when people got suspicious about his aging.

He frowned in frustration when he got another email from an employer, he had contacted who refused to give him work. He had asked at least twenty people and they all said no. Some of them were car dealers, agencies in need of a typist and even a lifeguard since he had his certificate. All direct no's with no explanation.

His fingers froze on the keys when he heard the sound of a cry. Jumping up and racing upstairs to the nursery, he burst through the door. Alice, Rosalie and Kamber were all sitting on the floor together watching the twins try to sit up on their own.

The twins were growing so fast but Alice had contacted an old friend of theirs who wasn't pure vampire and he had told them that he stopped growing at the age of 18 so there was no worry about the twins' growth.

"What happened?" Edward asked.

"Oh, Hunter was just upset because he couldn't reach Viggo," Kamber replied, smiling at her husband.

"Easy there Ed," Emmett remarked from where he sat in the rocking chair. "You're acting like a werewolf who imprinted!"
Edward glared at him, but Emmett just smirked.

"I'm going to go out for a bit," Edward said, coming over to crouch beside Kamber.

"Okay," the girl said, kissing his cheek. "Be safe."
Edward nodded before reaching over and kissing Hunter and Viggo on the head before running out of the room. Alice frowned at her brother's wake while Rosalie looked at Kamber.

"Is it just me or has Edward been acting weird the past two weeks?" she asked.

"It's not just you," Jasper replied, finally returning from under the bed where Viggo had lost a ball. "He has been weird. He keeps 'going out' for hours and doesn't come back till late and the twins are already in bed by then. He isn't as cheerful as he used to be."
Kamber nodded, "Usually he would lay with me and the twins when we were sleeping but now, he just sits in the corner and when I wake up, he's long gone."

The girl was silent a moment before picking up Hunter who had started to whine for, he was hungry, "it's probably nothing."
The four Cullens watched the girl as she began to feed the baby before exchanging looks. Kamber may be married to Edward but that only made her want to trust Edward unconditionally. However, his siblings could tell that he was keeping something from all of them and worst of all, from Kamber.

*******

"I already told you I cannot hire you," The mechanic at the car dealers replied.

"I know," Edward replied. "But that is all the email said. You didn't tell me if it was my resume, my reliability or that you had no need of help and from the looks of things, you need help."
The mechanic looked around the shop and sure enough, his two employees were in need of help.

The man was about to speak when something caught his eye behind Edward before he shook his head, "I'm sorry but we cannot take you."
He turned away, but Edward had noticed the man's change in behavior. He quickly looked over his shoulder only to see a person standing at the door wearing a black shirt, black pants and a baseball cap over her face.

Edward strode after the person who didn't back down and when Edward reached him, he realized who it was.

"So, you're the one behind this," He hissed.

Bella smirked at him. "It was the easiest way to get your attention."
"Well you got it," Edward snapped. "Why are you doing this?"
"I told my dad to set up a rumor with all employees that no one was allowed to hire you. With my dad being the chief and all...."
Edward grabbed the girl by the shoulders. "I asked you why not how."
Bella flashed him a flirty smile before grabbing his hand and pulling him out of the shop. Edward followed begrudgedly until the girl pushed him into a nearby alley and placed herself flush against him, his back to the wall.