Chapter 18

"So Kamber was right to assume that something was up with his bloody hand," Edward whispered.

"What do you mean?" Carlisle inquired.

"Kamber noticed that it almost looked like Jason had touched his wound or scratched himself and his right hand looked different," Edward remarked. "Jason brought this upon himself... he's a mutant."

"What I do not understand is why he is after Edward in particular," Rosalie spoke up, "Is it because he and Kamber were investigating Bounds?"

Mr. Vicasi shook his head, "It's because he has the power to ingest powers from vampires. He wants Edward's telepathic power and his speed."

"But that means..." Alice whispered. "If he comes after Edward... he might try to go for the kids!"

"We're not going to let that happen," Edward replied angrily.

Carlisle smiled and placed a hand on his son's shoulder, "We won't either. I promise that we will protect Kamber and the kids."
They all turned to stare out at the dark woods. Rosalie was staying inside with the kids, leaving everyone else to stand outside and wait for Jason's arrival.

Then.... They saw it. The sickly evil green eyes glaring at them from the shadows. Slowly Jason Bounds appeared from the shadows and Alice almost vomited. He was twice the size of a normal man, but his skin looked grey, covered in black tar like hair and a thick green ooze was flowing from his mouth.

"I think I preferred Mutants staying in the storybooks," Jasper whispered to himself.

They watched as Jason Bounds looked them up and down, one by one, inspecting them. Finally, his eyes fell on Edward and a sick smile appeared on his face.

"Cullen," he hissed in a thick, guttural voice that sounded like it came from the sewers.

Instantly, Esme and Carlisle took a step forward planting themselves a little in front of Edward in a protective manner.

Jason chuckled thickly before rising to his full height, licking his green lips.

"Prepare to die," he whispered.

The vampires and Mrs. Vicasi jumped forward at the same time. Jasper snuck around the back with Alice to catch him off guard. Mr. Vicasi and Carlisle distracted him while Mrs. Vicasi and Esme went at his sides. Emmett quickly scaled a nearby tree before jumping down onto his shoulders, wrapping his arms around the creature's neck.

Emmett almost seemed to be getting a grip on the beast when his body seemed to expand and Emmett was thrown off the creature's back, knocking Alice and Jasper down. Jason grabbed Esme around the neck and Carlisle gave up his position to wrench the beast's hand off his wife's neck before Esme fell limp into his arms, exhausted. Mrs. Vicasi jumped at Jason, transforming into her wolf form but Jason gave her a swift punch to the stomach, and she fell down, whimpering in pain. Mr. Vicasi rushed to her side... and now it was just Edward.

Edward clenched his fists and slowly approached the beast. He cracked his knuckles before sliding his foot on the ground, getting good traction.... Then he began to run. He ensured that he ran fast enough so that Jason couldn't catch him and every few seconds, he struck a blow on the beast.

Jason Bounds was beginning to get angry and finally let out a roar and reached out a hand blindly.... Clotheslining Edward!

The boy fell back onto his back, coughing. Bounds loomed over him before reaching down and pressing a long green nail to Edward's head.

"You're mine now," Bounds growled.

Edward felt the pressure of the finger on his head and closed his eyes, unable to move. It couldn't end like this.... Not now!