Closer

"Yeji?"

"Here."

"Dahyun?"

"Here."

"Ryujin?"

"Here."

While the teacher finishes reading roll call, Yeji can't help but smile to herself. Not only did Ryujin agree to walk with her to class, but she also sat at the desk directly next to hers. Whether or not it's because they have a project to do or because she insisted they walk together or something else, she doesn't mind. All Yeji cares about is Ryujin's company. She feels one step closer to getting some answers, perhaps even a step closer to getting her old best friend back, too. 

"So, how was your Saturday?"

The rim of Ryujin's eyes arcs alongside her cheeks as she grins excitedly about a few memories of that particular day. "It was great! Heejin sang a sweet song, then we went to the arcade near the cafe. We never broke our tie because we would end up getting even again, then we stopped to eat and while we were waiting— "

There's a change in her expression, and Yeji finds it peculiar how quickly Ryujin's emotions flip from excitement to sorrow, the joy in her eyes fading into something more disheartening and gloomy. The sudden transition was flustering and took her by surprise. Yeji doesn't think she's seen this happen before. At least, not in a really long time.

"Alright. Now that we know who is here and who isn't, find your partners, and please work on your project. You'll be handing in an outline of it when you walk in next class."

Ryujin takes this as an opportunity to change the subject. She plucks her bag from the ground beside the chair, unzips it, and pulls out a notebook alongside a pencil. Wanting to avoid eye contact, she fiddles with the pencil, eyes examining its dull tip. "I should probably go sharpen this."

"I have a spare pen you can use if you want."

"Sure. Thanks." She slides the pencil through the open zipper of her bag and accepts the pen. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but we agreed on the painting idea?"

Ryujin diving straight in for the details of the project with no extra comment or joke began to worry Yeji. Still, she ignores it for now and nods her head. "We did."

"I don't remember choosing which play we were going to use, though." Ryujin says as she jots down what they've previously discussed. It wasn't in the neatest, most organized fashion, but Yeji chuckles internally at the rushed writing, somehow finds it cute. Consciously, she adds that to the list of things she likes about Ryujin.

"I got a call, but when I returned, you had left. We never got the chance to." The pink-haired girl hums in response, starts nervously scribbling with the pen towards the bottom corner of her notebook paper. Thus, Yeji refuses to let Ryujin stay sad and tries to be the jokester this time around. "All I remember is the guy with the ham."

"You mean Hamlet?"

She rests her index finger against her chin, taps it, imitates a thinking face. "Nope. I like guy with the ham better. It has a nice ring to it."

Ryujin glances up from the notebook. The moment she realizes what her crush was doing, she stops doodling and purses her lips. "Are you teasing me, Yeddeong?"

"Noooooo, what would make you think that?"

"Because it's what I said last week."

"Is it? I don't recall."

The brunette attempts to smile convincingly, but it doesn't work. Ryujin hasn't cracked a smile yet. It upsets Yeji, who merely wants to learn about the issue so she can try to be of some help. However, that's the very problem. This is the one issue Ryujin refuses to discuss with her.