Snake (Pt.4)

Ryujin sat at the counter, on the phone with her parents. She longed for an update, even if she wasn't ready. She hadn't seen or talked with them since yesterday. It heightened the worries clawing at her heart. They've been busy, unable to sit down as a family and mourn their loved one.

Mr. and Mrs. Shin informed their daughter they had many obligations to settle regarding Grandma Shin's death and apologized for not being able to have a real talk with her. They also mentioned the receptionist there told them Yeji stopped by and that they appreciate her coming.

"We'll transfer some money so that way the two of you can get yourselves something to eat throughout the day."

"Okay, thank you... Just..." Ryujin cleared her throat. She thought about her words. This situation is different from most, so she lets the vulnerable question slip. "W- when will I see you?"

"Soon, Ryujinnie. We promise."

Before Ryujin ended her call, Yeji stepped out temporarily to talk to her mother. She owed her the update due the night before- or, well, due early this morning. Whatever the case, she planned to do so now.

"Mom?"

"Hi, sweetie. How is everything?"

"It's... I'm not sure." Yeji shuffled her feet, pacing back and forth. "It's really tough on her. I just wish I knew how to help."

"Do you need to stay longer? I know they'll have a lot to sort out, and I'm sure Ryujin would feel better having you by her side."

"Wait, are you serious? You'll let me stay longer?? What about school???" Numerous questions came to mind, and she spat them out one by one. She knew this was her mother showing trust. She only wished she could thank her in person and express how much appreciation she had.

"I'm the principal here, there's nothing to worry about. She needs you now. If you must remain there for the next few days, then you can stay, I don't mind."

"THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU SO MUCH, MOM! I LOVE YOU!" Yeji won't lie... she nearly teared up.

"Stop yelling, hun. You're making my ears ring." A soft laugh followed. "Just be sure to keep me up to date with everything and let me know how everyone is doing. If not, I'll come and get you."

"I will, mom. I promise. I really appreciate this, thank you so much."

"Yeah, yeah. Tell your wife I said hi. Text me later, love you."

"I will. Love you too." Yeji ended the call, and as she reached for the room door, her brain finally processed what her mom called Ryujin. Jaw dropped, eyes wide, her heart raced faster than she thought possible. A hand raised to lay against her chest. 'Did she really just say that..?'

Yeji felt the blush flood her skin, ear to ear, and took a deep breath. She walked back into the room and found her girlfriend where she left her, head against her palm, eyes closed. She moved beside the younger, whose gaze instantly fell upon her. "My parents want to thank you for visiting again so soon."

Flattered by their gratitude, Yeji brushed it off. "A thank you isn't necessary, really- "

"But it is, especially after all you did to get here. I'm just as thankful." Ryujin offered another faint smile. She switched the topic after, wanting to get an idea of how long she has before she's alone again. "When will you be going today?"

"Who said anything about leaving?"

"You uh... " Ryujin's sure her brain stuttered. "You're not leaving today?"