Snake

Yeji was currently lying in bed, her girlfriend's head against her chest, and arm resting on her stomach. She failed to get an adequate amount of sleep last night for one solid reason: Ryujin.

Yeji stared out the window while her girlfriend showered. She chewed her lip, fidgeted with her fingers nervously, and debated on what she could do. They just spent a nice time together, but the happiness bound to that moment would likely fade at some point. She didn't want to pursue a conversation knowing how it could end. Provoking Ryujin's emotions, even with genuine intentions, wouldn't change the hurt that might follow.

Yeji wasn't one to believe in magic. However, as dumb as it may  seem, she wished on the brightest star anyway, inwardly begging for everything to work out okay in the end. Hope is all she can muster. Faith is all she can have.

Amidst her desire to share a dance with Ryujin, Yeji had forgotten to pack clothes. So, as done a handful of times before, Ryujin lent her a pair of pajamas for the night. After their turns in the bathroom, Ryujin eventually made her way to the bed. She was silent, but the silence rang loud in Yeji's ears once the lights were out.

Yeji looked toward her partner, who stared up at the ceiling with no readable expression. She felt conflicted because of this, unsure if she should comfort her and how, or if she should just give her space.

"Yeddeong?"

She didn't expected to be called out. "Y- yes? What is it?"

What little moonlight they had illuminated Ryujin's face enough to highlight the tears forming in her eyes. Yeji bit her inner cheek, waiting for permission to act. She doesn't want to make her girlfriend uncomfortable. They haven't gone through something this serious together.

When Ryujin shifted to her side, though, and faced Yeji with eyes hinting at an imminent break down, Yeji felt tears of her own fall.

Numerous irrepressible sniffles filled the silence before she finally managed to speak. "Hold me."

Yeji wasted no time. She scooted over and wrapped her arms around her. And as Ryujin cried herself to sleep, Yeji held herself together until she knew the younger was asleep before she let out a heavy breath and any sadness of her own. It pained her to see her Ryujin like this. She understood it was all out of her control, but it hindered her from resting properly.

It was about eight in the morning. Yeji had been glancing around the room from time to time, trying to avoid the depressing view of Ryujin's puffy eyes. A part of her wanted to get up and fix breakfast, but with Ryujin curled up against her in a peaceful state, she couldn't risk ruining it.

At some point, Ryujin shuffled around. Her eyes opened gradually, blinking several times to rid of the stinging sensation within. Once they felt comfortable enough to keep open, she looked up at Yeji and smiled. "A part of me thought last night might've been a dream."

Despite all that Yeji felt in the past hours, the sound of Ryujin's morning voice caused a shift in her mood. Somehow, a smile came easy. "How'd you sleep?"

"Perfect because you're here."

"Even when you're half asleep, you're still a flirt," she said, playfully rolling her eyes.

"Don't act like you don't enjoy it." Ryujin grinned before closing her eyes again. She inhaled deeply. "How long have you been awake?"

"Uhm, I'm not sure."