Just the Beginning

As promised, Ryujin's parents returned. The gave their ETA, stating they'd be there within the hour.

An hour wasn't enough.

Although Ryujin had spent a wonderful time with her friends today, sadness overcame. Yeji wished there was a way to stop Ryujin's grief. Or that they could trade places. Anything to wipe away the fear in Ryujin's eyes.

Once the Shins entered their family home, Yeji feared what would soon to follow.

Ryujin's parents set their belongings down, prepared to get the discussion done and over with. There was no need to draw it out any longer. They considered their words during the drive back, but no matter how they say it, well... they wouldn't blame Ryujin for not liking it.

The atmosphere thickened.

"Ryujinnie."

She gulped. "Yes?"

"May we sit here for a moment?" Mr. Shin motioned to the table in the dining room.

Yeji played tug of war between giving them privacy or staying to listen, except Ryujin didn't give her much choice. The younger sensed the concern and clutched onto the brunette's hand, then led them toward the table. She needed her, right by her side.

Chairs scraped against the floor as everyone took a seat. Her heart could never have been prepared for what she was about to hear.

"As you know, your grandmother has passed." Mr. Shin drew his fist over his mouth and cleared his throat. He fidgeted more than she's ever seen.

"What went wrong with the surgery?" Ryujin questioned. Her parents were too reluctant for her liking. The last thing she wanted was to have to wait for answers again.

"Uhm.. " He leaned back, running his fingers through his hair. His thumb tapped against the table along to the nervous rhythm of his foot.

"Just tell me, dad. I can handle it." She needed him to speak. To say something. Anything, so long as it had to do with the incident.

"Something did go wrong with the surgery, but..." he took a glance at his wife before continuing. "There was one way she could live."

Ryujin's lips parted, just slightly. Whatever point her father was getting at, her troubled mind couldn't comprehend. "I- I don't understand.

"To avoid some unnecessary details, there was a choice to make... one we declined."

"What's with all the secrecy? Can't you just tell me?"

"It was an opportunity... " Mr. Shin fidgeted with his watch now, averting his eyes. "To let her live."

Ryujin's eyes widened. She let go of Yeji's hand. In an instant, she relived her last memory of her grandmother.

Her mom attempted to explain their decision. "Ryujin... it would've been torture for your grandmother. She wouldn't have wanted it. To be hooked up to a machine for what? A week or two? A month if she were lucky? If her body willed it?"

"I could've had more time with her, " she mumbled to no one in particular, but they heard it.

"It was to end her suffering. She was in constant pain. We thought it best— "

"Was that only your decision to make?!"

Yeji quickly placed her hand over her girlfriend's, trying to calm her down. However, it didn't work.

"It's what was best, Ryujin. Please."

"Is that what you think? How would you know?!"

"We— "