C h a p t e r O n e

Sophie's POV.

"Sophie!" Sophie's adoptive mother called. "Wake up, honey! You've got a big day today!"

Sophie groaned and rolled off her large canopied bed with a thump.
Ah yes, today was the day of the annual Summer Swan Ball, where all members of the Blackswan Clan come together for a dance and feast.
And now that Sophie was of age, she would be announced as the Blackswan's First Lady, a tremendous honor in the eyes of her parents.

But to Sophie, it was just another excuse for people to make her wear frilly dresses and standstill while smiling at people she didn't know.

Sophie took shower and got dressed in a fairly simple red tunic and met her parents in the kitchen of their palace.
The perks of being the clan's First Lady and being the daughter of two Blackswan leaders, you get to life in a big fancy house. A house Sophie still can barely find her way around in.

"Good morning, Sophie," her mom, Edaline, said, looking beautiful in a elegant violet gown and her auburn hair falling onto her shoulders in soft waves. "Calla was just finishing up some breakfast."

Calla was their family's cook and in Sophie's opinion, was the best chef of all time.
She was a short lady with soft grey eyes and caramel hair. She walked into the room and led Sophie to the elaborate dining room where she brought out a plate of navy blue oatmeal.

"Thank you, Calla," Sophie said and took a bite of her colorful breakfast.

The cook nodded. "Of course, and I wish you luck at the ball this evening. Try not to trip," she winked.

Sophie let out a small laugh. Everyone knew she was a klutz.

After she had eaten, Edaline led Sophie out to their striking garden where her best friend Biana was waiting.
Biana looked as gorgeous as ever in a breezy pink dress and her heart shaped lips perfectly glossed.

"Sophie!" Biana said once she saw them and gave her hug. "Are you ready for the ball tonight? I can't wait!"

Sophie smiled. "As ready as I'll ever be, I suppose.
So what are we gonna do, mom?" She asked Edaline.

"Well," Edaline began. "To prepare you for being First Lady, there are a few simple lessons you must participate in. The first of which being dancing, then speech, culture history, and finally posture. Biana asked to take part in them as well."

Sophie groaned as Biana clapped her hands.

Why, why was the world making her do this?
She didn't know how to dance, or have proper posture, and she didn't know anything about history.
This was going to impossible!

Edaline smiled mischievously and put her hand on Sophie's shoulder and took Sophie's hand into her own. The couples dancing pose.

Sophie bit back a smile of her own as she stumbled over the dancing steps and heard Biana snicker every time she tripped over her own feet.

If she was going to suffer through hours of ball preparation, at least she was going to do with her mom and best friend.

-

𝗛𝗲𝗹𝗹𝗼 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆𝗼𝗻𝗲! 𝗦𝗼𝗿𝗿𝘆 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝘀𝗼 𝘀𝗵𝗼𝗿𝘁, 𝗜 𝗽𝗿𝗼𝗺𝗶𝘀𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝘆 𝘄𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝗴𝗲𝘁 𝗹𝗼𝗻𝗴𝗲𝗿.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝘅𝘁 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘄𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝗯𝗲 𝗶𝗻 𝗞𝗲𝗲𝗳𝗲 𝗣𝗢𝗩.
𝗛𝗮𝗽𝗽𝘆 𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴!
~𝗧