C h a p t e r N i n e

Keefe's POV.

In all honesty, Keefe was disappointed to leave the ball.
In was the most fun he'd had in a long time.

The time he'd spent with Sophie were memories he would relive for the rest of his life.
Her smile, her laugh, her selflessness to put others happiness before her own.
He loved her for all those things and more.

So of course Keefe was disappointed to leave the ball.
To leave her.

But he knew Calla was right, he'd been lucky no one else recognized him.

And a little surprised too, now that he thought about it.
Of course at least one person knew him, his hair unmistakable.

Sophie's pained expression when Calla told her Keefe was the Neverseen's heir made him want to rip his hair and kick himself for breaking her trust.

But Sophie surprised him when she grabbed his hand and told him it was okay.
Keefe wanted to melt in relief.
She didn't hate him.
He would never, ever, do anything if he had to see that expression again.

So now he was tramping back to the Neverseen's land, making a plan on how and when he would see Sophie again.

~

Sophie's POV.

"Are you ready to be announced to the clan as First Lady?" Edaline asked.

Sophie smiled at her mother, finally ready to except the title.

She saw Biana and Linh smiling reassuringly at her.
She saw Edaline and Grady's proud faces.
She saw Dex, and even Tam, waving and giving her thumbs up.

Fitz and Della were there too, lending their support with their presents.
Though Fitz had a hard expression on his face, as if he was trying to erase something he had seen from his memory.
Sophie decided not to worry about that.

Everyone she cared about was there with her, except one person.
Sophie couldn't help her mind drifting to Keefe, wishing he was still there.

"Are you okay, honey?" Grady asked, noticing her longing expression.

Sophie nodded. "Yes. And I'm ready."

Grady smiled at her and Sophie relaxed.

"Okay then," he said and clinked a spoon against his glass to get the room's attention.
"People of the Blackswan! I am Grady Ruewen and I have the honor of announcing my daughter, Sophie Elizabeth Foster, as First Lady of this clan!"

The crowd erupted into applause, Biana cheering exceptionally loud.

Grady gingerly placed a braided, silver circlet with a moonstone in the center, onto Sophie's head and she couldn't help beam in pride.

The circlet now didn't feel like a looming, heavy, burden in her future.

It felt like a honor.
She was recognized by the leaders of her clan.
She was going to do good with the title and help the people of her clan.
She was ready.

Sophie respectively bowed to her parents.
"I swear my loyalty to the clan and promise to use strength, integrity, and unity to confront the challenges we face," she recited, just as she'd practiced with Edaline

The crowd cheered again and Sophie felt joy and fulfillment surge through her.

Grady and Edaline hugged her, both their eyes glassy.
"You did it, kiddo," Grady whispered.
"We're so proud of you," Edaline said.

Sophie felt a lump grow in her throat.
No matter what challenges she faced, she would always have her parents.

-

𝗛𝗲𝗹𝗹𝗼 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆𝗼𝗻𝗲!
𝗧𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝘀𝘁𝗼𝗿𝘆 𝗵𝗮𝘀 𝗯𝗲𝗲𝗻 𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗹𝗹𝘆 𝗳𝘂𝗻 𝘁𝗼 𝘄𝗿𝗶𝘁𝗲 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗜'𝗺 𝗴𝗹𝗮𝗱 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗴𝘂𝘆𝘀 𝗵𝗮𝘃𝗲 𝗯𝗲𝗲𝗻 𝗲𝗻𝗷𝗼𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗶𝘁 𝗮𝘀 𝗺𝘂𝗰𝗵 𝗮𝘀 𝗺𝗲!
𝗜 𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗹𝗹𝘆 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗦𝗼𝗽𝗵𝗶𝗲'𝘀 𝗿𝗲𝗹𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻𝘀𝗵𝗶𝗽 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗚𝗿𝗮𝗱𝘆 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗘𝗱𝗮𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗲 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗵𝗼𝘄 𝗺𝘂𝗰𝗵 𝗶𝘁'𝘀 𝗴𝗿𝗼𝘄𝗻.
𝗛𝗮𝗽𝗽𝘆 𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴!
𝗕𝘆𝗲!
~𝗧