C h a p t e r F o u r t e e n

Sophie's POV.

Sophie had just got out of the shower and was preparing to go to sleep when she learned her best friend's brother had been killed.

There was a knock on her bedroom door and Sophie sat down her copy of Little Woman, she'd been reading before bed.

"Come in!" Sophie called.

Edaline and Grady walked into her room with dejected expressions.

"What's wrong?" She asked as her parents sat on the edge of her bed.

"We just got word from Alden and Della," Grady started. "They held the news of their son Alvar's death."

"Oh...oh no," Sophie said softly. "How? Are the Vacker's okay?"

She'd never been the hugest fan Biana's brother, but she never wanted him to die.

"Apparently Keefe Sencen, heir to the Neverseen, fought and killed him after he'd snuck onto their grounds," Edaline's tone held an unusually bitter edge.

Keefe? Sophie thought, uncertain. Why? What did Alvar do?

Sophie didn't know what to think.
She had no idea why Keefe would do such a thing.
Alvar was a Vacker and Biana's brother, Sophie knew they had a connection that Alvar and Fitz didn't.

She felt partly betrayed by his actions.

"Keefe has been sentenced to exile," Edaline told her, noticing Sophie's sorrowful expression. "Banished to Exillium."

Sophie's heart dropped, her earlier feeling betrayal completely gone, replaced by heartache and the desperate hope she had heard her mother wrong.

"What?" She asked, not wanting it to be true.

Grady nodded. "Alden told us That Boy will be gone by dawn tomorrow."

It felt like the walls were closing in.
Sophie needed air to breath and process the terrible information.

"Wow," Sophie said, trying to remain calm and knowing her parents would get suspicious of her acting almost heartbroken at the news of a Neverseen member's banishment.

She needed them out of the room.

"Could I, uh, maybe have some tea before bed?" Sophie asked.

Grady and Edaline nodded, thankfully not spending too much thought on it.

"I'll ask Calla," Grady said and stood from her bed.
"Goodnight, Soph."

Edaline said goodnight too and followed her husband out the door.

Sophie stared out the closed glass doors of her balcony.

She couldn't believe Keefe had been exiled.
Dawn tomorrow? That was so soon!

Feelings of dejection and hopelessness filled Sophie's heart at the thought of never seeing Keefe again, and a few tears escaped.

Sophie thought this must have been what it felt like to lose someone you...you loved.

There was a knock on her door and Sophie quickly whipped away the tears from her cheek.

Calla was standing behind the door with a mug of chamomile tea when Sophie went to open it.

"Thank you, Calla," Sophie smiled and took the mug.

"Of course," the cook said with a warm smile of her own.

The smile faded however when she noticed Sophie's still glassy eyes.

"Oh Sophie," Calla said quietly and gave her hug.

Sophie sank into the hug, grateful.

But she tensed when Calla spoke again.

"This isn't about Lord Alden's son," Calla said. "Is it."

She didn't say as a question and Sophie didn't how to respond, so she didn't.

"It's about Mr. Sencen's banishment," Calla took Sophie's hands and looked into her brown eyes.

Sophie just nodded, not wanting to lie.
She knew she could trust Calla.

"Will you be okay?" Calla asked.

Sophie nodded again, hoping it was true.

"Okay then," Calla gave her a sad smile and headed for the door leaving Sophie with another, "goodnight."

Dawn tomorrow. Dawn tomorrow.
The words drifted through Sophie's head as she sipped her tea.
She needed to see Keefe before dawn tomorrow.

Maybe she could sneak to his room like he had done for her, except she had no idea where the Neverseen grounds were.

Sophie almost laughed at herself. The Blackswan's First Lady didn't even know where her enemy clan's grounds were located.

She looked out to her balcony again, the sky completely dark now, only the moon and stars for light, and almost fell over in surprise and relief.

Keefe was running toward the palace.

-

𝗛𝗲𝗹𝗹𝗼 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆𝗼𝗻𝗲!
𝗜 𝗵𝗼𝗽𝗲 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗵𝗮𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗮 𝘄𝗼𝗻𝗱𝗲𝗿𝗳𝘂𝗹 𝗔𝗽𝗿𝗶𝗹 𝗙𝗼𝗼𝗹𝘀!
𝗜𝘁'𝘀 𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗹𝗹𝘆 𝗳𝘂𝗻 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗺𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝘄𝗿𝗶𝘁𝗲 𝗖𝗮𝗹𝗹𝗮, 𝗜 𝘄𝗶𝘀𝗵 𝘀𝗵𝗲 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗶𝗻 𝗺𝗼𝗿𝗲 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗯𝗼𝗼𝗸𝘀 𝗯𝗲𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗲 𝘀𝗵𝗲 𝗱𝗶𝗲𝗱.
𝗧𝗵𝗮𝗻𝗸𝘀 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴!
𝗕𝘆𝗲!
~𝗧