C h a p t e r T w e n t y t h r e e

Keefe's POV.

"So here's the plan," Keefe whispered to Leroy and Zadie from outside their tent. "First, Zadie will distract the guards at the gate, and then, while their not looking, we make a run for it. And hopefully we'll run into a kind old man who'll help us get back to the clans."

Leroy stared at him in disbelief. "That's you plan? We just run and hope to find an old man?"

Keefe's face grew warm. "Look, it's not a rocket science solution, but it'll work."

His friend grunted, but Zadie enthralled at the idea.

"Yay!" Zadie cheered and Leroy had to remind her to be quiet. "We're finally escaping! This is way better then your plan was, Leroy."

Leroy glared, but eventually gave into the plan and pointed out the gates, where three heavy looking guards stood, to his sister.

"Try not to give anything away," he said. "Lead the guards as far away from the gate as to can, then run back to me and Keefe."

Zadie nodded and the three silently creeped toward the gate, or at least they tried to be silent.

"You sound like a Sasquatch," Keefe muttered to Leroy. "This is supposed to be a stealth mission."

"Well at least I don't look like a Sasquatch," Leroy snapped back, and Keefe gave a loud gasp.

"Hey guys," Zadie interrupted. "You go hide behind that big tree over there, and I'll go over to the guards."

The boys obliged, but not before Leroy checking his sister knew the plan one last time, and sprinted behind the tree, the cool night air whipping at Keefe's face.

They watched as the eight year old walked up to guards with a feigned confused expression on her face.

Keefe couldn't hear everything, but he caught the words, "sleepwalked," "need help to get to tent," and "please please please please please."

"Wow," Keefe said. "She's quite the actress."

The guards reluctantly followed Zadie a few feat from the gate and toward her large tent.

Zadie pointed to a tent. "That one might be mine, will you check for me? My brother will there if it is," Keefe heard her say with puppy dog eyes.

The men sighed and walked to the tent, turning away from Zadie.

The girl saw her chance and raced back to the boys, her feet light as a feather against the ground.

"You did it, Zadie!" Keefe congratulated once she'd made it to them. "You were amazing, now we have to more fast to get past the gate before the guards notice your gone."

Zadie's sky blue eyes shown with pride as they ran toward the gate.

Once they got there, Keefe shook the gate but saw no visible handle.

"You'll attract the guards over here if you keep shaking the gate like that," Leroy whispered. "We'll have to climb over them."

"Um," Zadie crossed her arms. "Climbing the gate didn't work so well last time."

"Then we'll have to do better then last time. Come on."

Keefe went first and swung himself over.

Leroy copied him, but Zadie couldn't make it all the way over so Leroy had to take her in his arms instead.

"See," Leroy said to his sister, who'd taken his hand they sprinted down the cobblestone road. "This is working out way the better then last time."