C h a p t e r S e v e n

Sophie's POV.

Sophie didn't know how long she'd been dancing with Fitz, but it felt like hours.

She'd been giving him several hints that she was done dancing with him, and obviously, he wasn't catching the drift.

"I'm gonna take a break," Sophie said at last and let go of Fitz's hands.
Before he could respond, Sophie quickly disappeared into the crowds of people.

She sighed with relief and sat on a chair on the far side of the room, brushing a strand of hair that had escaped her half up bun, behind her ear.

Sophie was about to go find Biana and Linh when someone else caught her eye.

She saw Keefe nervously looking around the room, holding a crimson rose.
Red roses were laid on each table around the grand hall.

Sophie wondered who he was looking for, and she surprised herself when she felt a pang of jealousy for whoever that person was.

Keefe looked around the room for a new for seconds before he spotted Sophie to the side of room.
His face brightened and he started toward her.

"Hi," Sophie said once Keefe reached her.

"Hey, Foster," Keefe said and held out rose.

Sophie blushed the same color of the flower took it.
"Are you liking the ball?"

Keefe sat on a chair beside Sophie and smiled at her. "It just got a whole lot better."

Woah, Sophie thought, he's good.

"The foods great," Keefe added and Sophie couldn't help but laugh at that.

"It is," she agreed. "Calla's an amazing cook."

Keefe nodded. "The Ripplefluffs are my favorite."
Sophie watched his face grown pink as he then said, "So I was, um, wondering if you'd like to dance or something, maybe. I mean, we're at a ball, so I just thought I'd ask. But if you don't want to that's fine."

Sophie's face grew increasingly hot as he rambled, no longer talking about food or Ripplefluffs.
But she managed to keep her usual calm composure and answered, "I'd love to."

Keefe looked surprised for a second before he smiled and got up from his chair, holding out a hand for Sophie. "Well then, Miss Foster, shall we?"

Sophie took his outstretched hand, her heart switching to hummingbird mode. "We shall."

Keefe gently grasped the rose from Sophie's hand and placed it behind her ear, eyes twinkling.

They lead each other toward the center of the dance floor.
Sophie placed her hand on Keefe's shoulder and he positioned his on her whist.

They swayed to the light music and both smiled.

Sophie spotted Biana dancing with Dex a little ways in front of her and Keefe. And Linh standing to the side of the room, fingers intertwined with one of the place guards, Wylie.

Sophie knew her parents must be around somewhere, maybe watching her.
But that didn't matter, all that mattered was this minute, right now with Keefe.

Some of the dancing guests finished and started to more toward the food and drink tables, or to other people to start a conversation.

Sophie and Keefe stayed, swaying to the music, enjoying the company of the other.

"You know, Foster," Keefe said once Sophie stepped on his foot for the sixth time. "I don't no if you can convince me you've had proper dancing lessons."

Sophie laughed. "I actually did. And as you may have guessed, I flunked them."

"You don't say," Keefe said, faking astonishment, before he shook his head with a smile. "Don't worry, you make up for it."

When the music finally stopped and Sophie and Keefe broke apart from dancing, they were some of the only ones left on the floor.

"Thanks for the dance, Keefe." Sophie said as they walked, hand in hand, to an empty part of the room.

"Any time, Foster," Keefe smiled.

Gosh, Sophie thought, he has such a cute smile. And he dances so well!

Sophie and Keefe stood facing each other, looking into the others eyes.

Keefe leaned in and Sophie's breath caught.

Before she could think about what she was doing, Sophie leaned forward and kissed him.
Both their hearts beating rapidly in unison.

-

𝗛𝗲𝗹𝗹𝗼 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆𝗼𝗻𝗲!
𝗜 𝗵𝗼𝗽𝗲 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗹𝗶𝗸𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿! 𝗔𝗻𝗱 𝗜 𝗵𝗼𝗽𝗲 𝗶𝘁 𝘄𝗮𝘀𝗻'𝘁 𝘁𝗼 𝗰𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗴𝘆, *𝗵𝗶𝗱𝗲𝘀 𝗯𝗲𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗱 𝗵𝗮𝗶𝗿 𝗦𝗼𝗽𝗵𝗶𝗲 𝗦𝘁𝘆𝗹𝗲*.
𝗧𝗵𝗮𝗻𝗸 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴!
𝗕𝘆𝗲!
~𝗧