C h a p t e r E l e v e n

Sophie's POV.

Sophie slept in till 11:43 AM the day after the Swan Ball, which was rare, she always had trouble sleeping.

She woke up to both Biana and Calla standing over her.

"Uh, hi?" Sophie said to them and sat up in her bed.
She shrieked when she saw the time and scrambled out of bed.

"Late night?" Biana asked with a crooked grin.

"Vary funny," Sophie glared.

"Me and Linh left right after you were announced," Biana said. "I stopped by like an hour ago, but Calla said you weren't up."

"I said the First Lady needed her beauty sleep," Calla grinned.

Biana laughed and Sophie couldn't suppress her own.

"So then I guess I'll be right down for breakfast," Sophie said and fished around her closet for a tunic.
"Or lunch, I guess?"

"Brunch," Calla confirmed and headed for the door, Biana right behind her. "Porcaroot Pie and Butterblasts."

Sophie's mouth salivated. "Great!"

She got dressed in a pale yellow tunic and black leggings, thinking of how the yellow reminded her of Keefe's hair, then quickly banished the thought.

Her parents were seated in their cozy sunroom, plates of food all around.

"Hello, Sophie," Edaline greeted as Sophie sat on down on a cushioned chair.

"Good morning," Sophie said and immediately started filling her plate with slices of Porcaroot Pie and Butterblasts.

Once they'd finished eating, Grady and Edaline explained to Sophie what her first acts as First Lady would consists of.

First, she would be meeting with the Collective to discuss the war updates.
Then she'd collects complaints from the people of the clan and try to help them in anyway she could.
And last, Grady informed her Fitz wanted to meet her that night.
(Sophie cringed at the last one).

So Sophie went through her officious day with her head held high, trying to keep an authoritative demeanor.

~

It was around 7:00 that evening when Sophie finally had some time to herself.
She sighed when as Edaline announced that Fitz would be there at 8:00.

Despite her efforts, Sophie couldn't stop thoughts of Keefe drifting through her mind.
How she wished to see him again!

She leaned out her balcony on the third floor of the palace, and looked up the beautiful dusky sky.

"Oh Keefe," Sophie said softly. "They want me to marry Fitz Vacker, but I just don't know if I could do that. Am I being selfish? I don't know what to do. You would know what to do. The truth is Keefe, I miss you."

Sophie was just about to turn and around head back inside her room, when to spotted someone out of the corner of her eye.

~

Keefe's POV.

Keefe snuck out that night and had asked Marella to cover for him, he managed to dodge her questions despite the hundreds she asked.

He traced his steps to Havenfield's palace and searched for Sophie's window.

When he was just about to give up and had convinced himself she wasn't even home, he heard her smooth voice coming from a balcony.

"-want me to marry Fitz Vacker," Sophie was saying and Keefe quickly hid behind a large shrub. "But I just don't think I can do that. Am I being selfish?"
No your not being selfish! Keefe wanted to scream, but held back. "I don't know what to do. You would know what to do. The truth is Keefe, I miss you."

Keefe's heart swelled. Foster missed him! If only she knew how much he had missed her.

He saw Sophie start to turn back toward her room, and Keefe knew this was his chance.

With a deep breath, Keefe stepped out from behind the shrub.

Sophie gasped and clutched the balcony.

"Hey, Foster!" Keefe called and walked up to the bottom of the balcony.

"Keefe?" Sophie asked. "What are you doing here?"

"I needed to see you again," Keefe said with a smile.
"I missed you too."

Sophie's eyes narrowed. "You were listening to me?"

Crap, Keefe thought, you killed it.
"Uh," he said, trying to recover. "Yes?"

To his surprise, Sophie laughed. "I appreciate your honesty."

Keefe smiled and and looked around for a way to get closer to her.

Sophie studied him for a second before gesturing to the walls of the palace, covered in green ivy.
"Climb, genius."

Keefe obliged with a smirk. "Looks like our Miss Foster is getting quite snarky," he said when he reached the top of her balcony.

Sophie laughed and playfully punched his shoulder.

They stood together laughing, both feeling so comfortable and happy with the other.

Keefe watched Sophie with a probably, vary dopey smile on his face.
"Your amazing, Sophie," he said.

Sophie looked surprised for a second before she smiled.
She stood on her tiptoes and kissed him. "I know."

Keefe laughed and returned the kiss.

The cool breeze blew their hair into their faces.
The ever darkening sky was just letting the star start to shine.

Keefe felt like he was floating.

Nothing could have ruined that moment.

-

𝗛𝗲𝗹𝗹𝗼 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆𝗼𝗻𝗲!
𝗜𝘀 𝗶𝘁 𝘀𝗮𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗜 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗸 𝗜'𝗺 𝘄𝗿𝗶𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗦𝗼𝗽𝗵𝗶𝗲 𝗺𝗼𝗿𝗲 𝗰𝗼𝗻𝗳𝗶𝗱𝗲𝗻𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗻 𝘀𝗵𝗲 𝗮𝗰𝘁𝘂𝗮𝗹𝗹𝘆 𝗶𝘀?
𝗧𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗹𝗹𝘆 𝗳𝘂𝗻 𝘁𝗼 𝘄𝗿𝗶𝘁𝗲 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗜 𝗵𝗼𝗽𝗲 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝗲𝗻𝗷𝗼𝘆 𝗶𝘁!
𝗕𝘆𝗲!
~𝗧