CHAPTER THREE

At the hospital, Sanem is out of surgery, but still not awake.   Leyla had talked with Emre, but just told him Sanem was out of surgery, but not awake yet.   She did not want to talk with him, because of Aylin his girlfriend, and the mean things she had done to Sanem.   When she hung up she told her family, that the police had taken Can to the police headquarters for questioning.   They were shocked to hear this, but Bulut told them this was routine, when something like this happens.   He told them he was an attorney and would represent Sanem from now, until it was figured out what had happened.   Nihat and Mevkibe were very grateful to this nice young man, who had saved their daughter.

Mihriban and Mevkibe had bonded while sitting there waiting for surgery to finish.   Mihriban told the Aydin's that while Sanem was recuperating, that she could come to her farm and stay.   She had two empty houses on her property, and Sanem could have either one for free.   That way she could hide out from the press and anyone else she wanted to be away from, for as long as she wanted.  The Aydin's thanked her so much and said they would let Sanem decide what she wanted to do, when she woke up.  Mihriban hugged everyone and she and Bulut left to take care of the farm.

A few hours later Leyla was sitting by Sanem's bed just watching her sleep.   She really wanted her sister to wake up while their parents were gone to eat and rest a little at home.   She had a lot of questions for Sanem.  She heard a soft moan, and looked up from her phone to see Sanem's eyes open and looking around.   She jumped up and said, "Sister, are you okay?  Can you hear me?"  Before Sanem could focus, Leyla ran out of the room to get a nurse.  They came back into the room with the doctor.  He said, "Welcome back young lady, how do you feel?"

Sanem looked puzzled for a minute, and then said, "I think I am okay. What happened to me?"   The doctor explained, after an examination, what had happened to her.   He asks her, "Where are you hurting?" She replied, "My left arm and shoulder are hurting and I am aching all over."   The doctor explained that the police had told them she was hit by a car, and then rolled a long way down a ravine.  You are covered in bruises, especially your left hip.  You were very lucky your hip was not broken.   We did have to suture a long cut on your hip.   You have a fractured shoulder and upper arm.   You are in a cast, after the surgery to set the bones."  

Sanem smiled and told the doctor, "Thank you for taking care of me.  Now when do I get to go home?"   He laughed and said, "That's always the first question everyone asks me.   The police want to talk with you first, and then we will talk about home maybe tomorrow.   You need to rest tonight."

After asking her some questions about her period and how regular she is.   He said, "As far as we can tell, from hormone levels, you are about two weeks pregnant, and we feel like the baby survived your hit and fall.   We will know more later, but be reassured that we protected your abdomen during x-rays on your arm, shoulder and hip.   Now rest and I will be back."

After he and the nurse left the room, Sanem and Leyla were looking at each other in shock.   Sanem whispered, "Pregnant, oh no.   What will Anne and Baba do when they find out?   It was only one night and we used protection.   Leyla, what I am going to do?"   Leyla grabbed her hand and said, "I don't know, but I am so glad they were not here when the doctor told you.  Now tell me what happened last night, and I will tell you what I know."

When they got through discussing all of the details, Leyla said, "It sounds like maybe Can or Polen hit you with the car.   So I have an idea of where you can hide out till we know what happened and figure out what to do."   After Leyla told her about Mihriban's offer, Sanem was relieved and said, "I will definitely take her up on the offer, till I can think how to tell Anne and Baba what I've done.  I know Can won't want anything to do with me, he actually told me that very thing last night.   He hates me."

At the police station, Detective Altay was asking Can some really hard questions.  He made him explain his comments about Sanem lying, why he grabbed her shoulders, and why he made her walk in the dark down a deserted road.

By the time he was finished Can just sat with his head down, wondering what was wrong with him that he was so cruel to Sanem.  The detective actually said to Can, "None of these lies you mentioned are bad enough to be so cruel to her like you were.  First she thought she was helping the employees of the agency.  Now it is because she got you out of jail, for hitting someone.  Sounds to me like she loves you very much, and she tries to help everyone.  She gave up her special scent from her grandmother to help you.   Now we need to have Polen Yilmaz come back to Istanbul and tell us her side of the story, about this hit and run.  Do not contact her yourself; we will take care of contacting her.  In the meantime, you are free to go, but I advise you to not attempt to see Sanem Aydin or leave Istanbul, till our investigation is complete.  Sounds like she has been through enough and needs to recuperate."

Can left the room, and met Emre and Metin in the waiting area.  Can had not needed an attorney, as he was cleared of any suspicion.   Polen's rental car only had one set of fingerprints and they were not Can's.  The blood on the bumper was Sanem's.  Can just hung his head in shame when Emre and Metin ask him what happened.

When they got outside, he explained everything.   Metin and even Emre were shocked to hear how bad Can had treated Sanem, in a temper.   They were even more shocked to hear Sanem had to walk away from Can's hut, and that all the evidence pointed to Polen hitting Sanem with a car.  

Can ask Metin, "Would you go to the hospital and see how Sanem is doing?  The police have ordered me to stay away from her."  He didn't think he or Emre either one would be welcome anyway.   Can also ask Metin, "If you see her please apologize to her for me."   He turned and started walking down the street and caught a taxi for home.

By the time Metin got to the hospital and found Sanem's room, Leyla had just left, and Sanem was alone.   He ask if he could speak to Sanem, and she said okay.  He told her Can felt really bad about what had happened, and sent his apologies.   Sanem didn't say anything for a minute, and then ask, "Does Can know who hit me with a car?"   Metin just replied, "The police are still working on the case."

Sanem said, "I just wondered does he know his girlfriend tried to kill me and does he even care?   I actually caught a glimpse of a white car and I know that's what she was driving."   Metin said, "Of course he cares, he feels bad about being so angry with you, and about you being hurt."

Sanem said sadly, "No he doesn't, he just feels bad she might get into trouble.  Tell him not to worry; I will never voluntarily appear before him again, as he wished.  Thank you for coming, I will be fine."

When Metin left he thought to himself, Can has really messed up good this time.

Sanem just wept into her pillow.