CHAPTER FOUR

Just a short update, as I hate to leave Sanem crying.

The next morning Sanem was discharged, and she went home with Mihriban and Bulut.   Leyla was bringing clothing over for her later in the day.  They all decided the less people that knew where she was, the better.

After Sanem had gotten settled into the beautiful garden home, she mailed her resignation to the Agency.   She set up payments with the Human Resource Department, to pay back the money Emre had loaned her for her Baba's store.  She sent notice to Fabri that she would not be working with him on the perfume.  She had held up her end of the contract by giving him one recipe, and on advice of her attorney, that was all she needed to do.   Bulut had read over the contract, and that was the advice he gave her.

Sanem spent her days, while healing, getting used to the idea of being a single Anne, and writing in her journal.  She was having morning sickness, but passed it off as pain from injuries to everyone but Leyla.

One day, Mihriban asks Sanem if she could read what she was writing.   When she read the journal, she told Sanem that she had a wonderful book in her story.  She helped Sanem type up a manuscript, and advised her to finish her story as she knew it would sale.

She completed her book which she had started from when she met Can.   He had told her in the past; it was okay to write their story.  She changed all the names, towns, workplace, and made up a new happier ending.   After she finished the manuscript, Mihriban and Bulut took it to their publisher friend.  This publisher loved the book and the title, THE PHOENIX AND THE ALBATROSS.  She felt like it would be a best seller; Sanem signed a contract, and was given more money than she had ever had in her life.   Her book was printed right away, with very few revisions.   Sanem was so happy that she would be able to take care of herself and her child, pay off the debt to the Agency, and help her parents.   She was also getting a percentage of all the sales of the book, and a contract for another as soon as possible.

She had a beautiful garden of flowers to choose from, to make her special creams.   Bulut helped her get a patent on the scents and creams, the ones she had not given to Fabri.   So now she could do whatever she wanted to with the rest of her recipes, which she had inherited from her grandmother.

During all this time, she did not have to go to court or to the police station.  She had given her statement to the police before she left the hospital; she had only caught a glimpse of a white car, and did not see the driver.  Bulut had gone in her place for all of the procedures.  Polen had been arrested, but denied deliberately trying to run over Sanem, she told them her shoe heel got caught.  She had gotten off with a suspended sentence, probation, and community service for hit and run.   Sanem had refused to press charges, but the police insisted.  Sanem did not want to see Polen ever again, after the way she treated her.  Bulut made sure there was a restraining order against Polen to never appear in front of Sanem again.

She knew Can did not want to see her, after what he has said more than once, and grabbing her like he did.   His temper that night had actually scared her.  She did not believe the messages he sent with Metin thru Bulut, trying to apologize.   Or the messages from Emre by Leyla, saying Can wanted to see her and talk.   She decided that she would not believe him when he had so many times gotten angry with her and had said he didn't want to see her again.

She knew that if her baby survived, that she would have to tell Can about the child, but not now.   She had an upcoming appointment with an obstetrician in about two weeks, and Leyla was going with her.   No one else knew that she was pregnant, or knew the worry she had that the accident had harmed her baby.  She was ashamed that she had slept with Can before marriage, but she did then and now still love him.  This child would be the symbol of their love, and she would love this child with her whole heart.  She knew she would never love again like she loves Can.

She was so happy living on the farm.   Besides Leyla, no one had been there to see her.  Baba and Anne knew where she was but had not visited, just talked by phone.   She had already started another story.  This one was more about heartache, and surviving the loss of a love and relationships.  She had learned a lot about relationships, from her one and only one.   She had really learned that you should always discuss everything and never lie or try to cover up for others.   It was a harsh lesson to learn, when she had never even been kissed before meeting Can.  She used her experiences to write a book of fiction.

Can was so disappointed that Sanem would not talk to him, he didn't even know where she was staying.   All her parents would say is, she isn't here and we do not have her address, and Sanem would not answer his calls.  Leyla wouldn't talk to him unless it was necessary, at work.

Polen, at the beginning of the investigation, wanted Can to defend and protect her by telling the police that he was driving the white car the night Sanem was hit.   He refused, so she told the police that he was driving, but the police had physical evidence that she was the driver.   He was so upset to think that Polen probably hit Sanem on purpose, that he didn't believe her when she said it was an accident, because she wanted to lie about everything else.   The person he always believed.   He is just not a good judge of character.

He decided to go ahead and take the job in the Balkans, working with another representative of Polen's company.   He did not want to have anything to do with Polen ever again.  Can left for a four month assignment in the Balkans. 

Aziz Divit came into town to cover for Can, while he was in the Balkans.  He was much better, treatments were completed, and he still wanted to retire.  He definitely wanted to see what Emre and Aylin were up to with this Fabri person.