CHAPTER SEVEN

Can arrived back in Istanbul a little over five months since he left.  He wondered if Sanem would answer his calls and where was she living now?   He went to the Agency to see what he could find out and see how his Baba was doing.   When he arrived at the Agency, and he was surprised at the subdued greeting he received from everyone, even CeyCey.   He went to his Baba's office and was greeted with hugs and love.  He asks, "How is everything going Baba? Why is everyone so quiet?"   Aziz replied, "Things are finally going well. Emre has had to clean up a lot of his mistakes and is very humble now, because of what he has done.   We will be talking about that later.   How was your trip?   Do you feel better?"

Can replied, "I missed everyone, but I did have a very good, relaxing trip.   I loved the mountains.   I don't know how I feel.   Have you heard anything about Sanem and how she is doing?    Why is everyone here treating me like I committed a crime?"

Aziz sadly replied, "I'm afraid that the staff still blames you, for Polen hitting Sanem with a car.   You disappeared just a few days after the court date, Polen got off almost scot free, and Sanem was injured badly.   You are going to have to work hard to gain their trust again.   Sanem resigned pretty quickly about the same time you left.  She has paid back all the money that Emre had loaned her, and is a successful author now."

Can ask, "Have you seen her since then, and do you know where she is living now?"   Aziz answered "I saw her, maybe a couple of months ago, and she seemed fine at the time, still had a cast.  I do not know where she is living now, at the time I saw her she was staying near my friend's farm."

Aziz then said, "Come let me show you what is going on in the Agency now, and see what new ideas you might come up with for us.   I need to update you on some things that have happened."

Sanem was now about five and one-half months pregnant.   She has not seen her parents since she was about three months pregnant, before her abdomen had gotten so big.  She had finally talked with Mihriban, when she was four months along, but did not tell her it was triplets.  Mihriban advised her to tell her parents as soon as possible.  She still had not gotten the nerve to tell them, and Leyla was just as afraid as she was.

Tonight she was invited to Mihriban's for dinner, along with Bulut, who had guessed about her pregnancy.  He was being very supportive and nonjudgmental, and helping her around the house, without asking.  She has been wearing flowing dresses and very loose clothing.  So far she is hiding her abdomen very well, but with any hugs or close contact there is nothing hidden.   Her last OB visit she was told that she is having two girls and one boy, exactly what she had always wanted.  It was even part of the made up ending to her first book, that she would have three children, just not all at once.

As she and Bulut walked closer to Mihriban's, she heard voices and wondered who else had been invited.    As they walked up the embankment, Bulut reached over and held her arm to help her. As she looked up she gasped as she saw Can Divit watching them.   He and Aziz had just arrived, and the look he was giving her was angry.    Mihriban ran over and grabbed Sanem's other arm and started introducing her to Can.  Sanem just nodded and sat down at the table.  Bulut offered to help Mihriban bring dishes to the table and they told Sanem to just sit there, that they had it under control.   Can and Aziz sat down across from Sanem.  Can says to her, "Obviously you are doing well, and have a new boyfriend."   Sanem said, "Bulut is my friend and attorney.   He works on Mihriban's property and helps me a lot.   He is actually the one who rescued me when your girlfriend hit me with her car."

Aziz just looked from one to the other, and said, "I thought Can had rescued you."  Sanem said, "No he sent me away, to walk in the dark, while he stayed with Polen to plan their trip.  Then she hit me with a car and knocked me off the road.   I am doing very well now, writing books, and financially free.   No cast anymore and fully healed.   Please tell Mihriban I will call her later, that I need to leave now.  Good to see you again." 

  With that she got up and left before anyone could react.   Can started to get up and Aziz said, "No leave her alone right now, you can call her later.   I don't want to upset Mihriban."  Can sat down, because he wanted to question Bulut, and see how he was really connected to Sanem.

When Mihriban and Bulut came back Mihriban ask, "Where did Sanem go?"  Aziz replied, "She said she needed to leave but she will call you later."    Mihriban said worriedly, "Did she seem okay, not sick or anything?"  Aziz said, "No she seemed fine."  Bulut didn't say anything, but he gave Can a warning look, and then said, "She was probably tired, as she writes day and night sometimes."

Can ask sharply, "How do you know when she writes?"   Bulut replied, "Because she talks to me and tells me.   I bring her vegetables and fruits to eat, and check on her frequently.  She is my friend."   Bulut knew who Can was from going to police station and court to represent Sanem.   He had also guessed that Can was the father of Sanem's baby, but she obviously did not want to talk about that subject.

Mihriban said calmly, "I will check on her later.  Now let's eat and talk about your trip Can."   The whole meal Can was trying to figure out what was different about Sanem.  The light wasn't very good on the patio, but he felt something was off.   He would wait a couple of days and call her, to see if she would finally talk to him.

Sanem went back to her house that she was now renting from Mihriban, and left all the lights off, and hid in the bedroom.  She was too scared to leave any lights on, in case Can followed her.  She knew she had to talk to him about the babies, but she wanted to be prepared.  When he didn't come, she just started crying, because she knew he didn't care about her at all.  She called Leyla and asks her what she thought?  "Should she tell Anne and Baba first or Can?"  Leyla knowing their parents said, "Maybe you should tell Can first, then tell Anne and Baba?"  Sanem said, "Okay, but I think I will call Can and ask him to come here.  Then if he gets mad and leaves, I won't have to go anywhere.  Can you come be with me when I tell him?"  Leyla replied, "Just let me know when and I will be there."

The next day, Can was in a meeting with Aziz and Emre, when his phone rang.  He just glanced at it, not planning to answer, when he saw it was Sanem.   He jumped up and said, "I'm sorry, please excuse me Baba, I need to answer this call."   As he went into the hallway, saying "Hello."

Sanem said very quietly, "Can, I am sorry to bother you, but I need to talk with you.  Would it be possible for you to come to Mihriban's property this evening?  I live in the small garden house to the right of her driveway.  Would 7:00 pm be okay?"   Can replied, "Yes, I can be there."   When he started to say more, Sanem just said thank you, goodbye, and hung up the phone.

Can slowly walked back into the room and told his Baba and Emre about the call.   Aziz was happy that Sanem had reached out to Can.   Emre was concerned, he didn't know the details of why, but he knew Leyla was worried about Sanem.  He and Leyla had been spending some time together, and she had told him she was afraid to let Sanem know they were seeing each other.   Emre felt very guilty for what he had done to Sanem and Can.   He still needed to sit and talk with the both of them and apologize.

Leyla went to Sanem's straight from work.   Sanem was pacing, and so nervous, that Leyla made her sit down and drink a little tea.   Sanem kept saying, "What if he doesn't believe they are his babies?  What if he does and takes them away?  What will I do?  I don't drink tea, too much caffeine for my babies."   Leyla was so worried that she called Mihriban to come help calm Sanem down.   When Mihriban got there she was very concerned at Sanem's state of mind. Sanem kept saying, "He won't listen to me, I'm scared.  What can I do?"

Finally between the two of them they got Sanem to calm down.   She just sat and looked out the window, with tears streaming down her face.  Mihriban finally got Sanem to talk to her, and was shocked at what she told her.   That not only is she pregnant, but she is having triplets, Can Divit is the father, and she is going to tell him tonight.   Mihriban just sat down in front of Sanem and held her hands and cried with her.  Leyla was no better as she was sitting by her sister holding her and crying.