Chapter 1

Alexis's POV

Right now, I was with my brother, Tintin, and our dog, Snowy, at the market place. Tintin was getting a painting of himself while me and Snowy just sat on the ground, all bored. The only thing I did was listen to Tintin talking to the painter.

"Very nearly there, sir. I have to say, your face is familiar. Have I drawn you before?" The painter asked my brother.

"Occasionally," Tintin replied.

"Of course. I've seen you in the newspaper. You are a reporter?" The painter then asked.

"I'm a journalist," Tintin then said as I let out a sigh of boredom. Tintin the patted my head. "Be patient, Alexis. Not much longer," Tintin told me.

In the corner of my eye, I saw Snowy staring at some guy wearing gloves. Snowy then got suspicious of that man, and so did I. So I sneakily got up without Tintin noticing and followed Snowy as he followed the man.

As we followed him, I saw him stealing wallets. That shocked me.

That sneaky man.

We continue to follow him until I hear something.

"Alexis! Snowy!" Tintin yelled.

I then turn around and start to run to him. He then sees us.

"Where have you guys been?" Tintin asked.

"Tintin, Tintin, I saw something happen," I tried to tell him as Snowy started barking, probably trying to tell him about the pickpocket guy.

Tintin then looks through a mirror and sees something that interests him.

"Alexis, Snowy, look at this," Tintin said. I then look at the mirror and see a ship on a table.

We then turn around and see it. We then walk towards it and observe it.

"Triple masted. Double decks. Fifty guns. Isn't she a beauty?" Tintin said.

"That's a very unique specimen, that it. From an old see captain's estate," The seller told us.

"'The Unicorn,'" Tintin mumbled to himself.

"Unicorn. Man o' war sailing ship. It's very old, that is. 16th century," The seller said.

"I think it's 17th," I corrected.

"Reign of Charles I," The seller then said.

"Charles II," Tintin then corrected him.

"That's what I said. Charles II. As fine a ship as ever sailed the seven seas. You won't find another one of these, mate. And it's only two quid," The seller told us. Tintin then stood up.

"I'll give you a pound," Tintin told the seller.

"Done," The seller said, then Tintin gave him the money.

As they were taking the boat out of the glass box, I saw a man trying to get passed people and made his way towards us.

"Hey bud, how much for the boat?" The man asked.

"I'm sorry. I just sold it to this young gent and lady," The seller told the man.

"Oh, yeah? Tell me what you paid, and I'll give you double," The man told Tintin.

What?! He's got to be kidding. Is he?

"Thanks, but it's not for sale," Tintin told the man.

"Look, kid, I'm trying to help you out. I don't think you realize this, but you're about to walk into a whole mess of danger," The man told my brother. That confused me.

"What kind of danger?" Tintin asked.

"I'm warning you. get rid of the boat, and get out while you still can. These people do not play nice," The man then said as he walked away.

"What people?" Tintin questioned.

"Wonderful," Said a rich-looking person behind us. "It's just...wonderful. Don't bother wrapping it. I'll take it as is. Does anybody object if I pay by check?" The rich man said as he took out a pen.

"If you wanna buy it, you'll have to talk to the kid," The seller told him. The rich man then looked at us. I just stood behind Tintin and peeked my head out to the side to look at him.

"I see. Well, let the kid name his price," The rich man said.

"Name his price? Ten years I've been flogging bric-a-brac and I miss 'name yur price' by one bleedin' minute!" The seller said. That caused me to giggle a little.

"I'm sorry. I already explained to the other gentleman," Tintin said.

"American he was. All hair oil and no socks," The seller identified the other man.

"It's not for sale," Tintin then said.

"Then let me appeal to your better nature. I have recently acquired Marlinspike Hall. This ship, I'm sure you're aware, was once part of the estate," The rich man explained.

"Of the late sea captain," Tintin then stated.

"The family fell upon hard times. Lost everything. They've been living in a cloud of bad luck ever since. We are talking generations of drinking, and irrational behavior," The rich man started to explain again.

"I'm sorry, but as I told you before...it's not for sale. Good day to you, sir," Tintin said as he grabbed my hand and we walked away as Snowy followed closely behind us.

I then turn around to look at the rich man, only to see him glaring at us. Something about this man gives me the chills.