Rhiannon

Rhiannon was a Gryffindor

Rhiannon was a Gryffindor. She was the big disappointment. Well to her father at least. Not to her mother, never to her mother. When she had written her mother about how she had been placed in Gryffindor, she had written back how proud she was of her brave daughter. She never heard from her father, but when she had arrived in the headmasters office in her Gryffindor robes to be informed of her mother's passing, he had looked so disappointed in her. That one of his own was a lion not a snake.

Among her sisters she looked the least like her parents. She had blue eyes and pale skin and that is as far as the comparison went with her father. She could easily say she wasn't his at school, as rumours about him had begun to fly around.

Her rosy cheeks and curly hair were the only traits she inherited from her mother, who always claimed she looked just like her Grandmother.

Rhiannon was best friends with Marlene McKinnon. Since their first year actually. By association she was friends with four blokes who called themselves the Marauders. She really only ever noticed one of them, Remus Lupin.

He was bookish and intelligent to the point that she would wonder why he hadn't been placed in Ravenclaw. She often spotted him in the library just reading while his friends went on and on about how great they were.

Well, they were pretty great, when Severus Snape has called her a blood traitor and turned her cauldron to blood, the following day the cold hearted Slytherin walked into the great hall in nothing but feathers. Seriously. No clothes. Just feathers. He didn't even seem to notice.

When she looked over to James Potter, the leader of the little group, he tipped his head at her.

"We blood traitors have to stick together." He had whispered, while Sirius Black winked at her.

She nodded discretely and muttered Thank you. If only they knew who her father was, they would never look at her again. That of course had been in fourth year, the year after Eurydice had left and Rhiannon had joined the Quidditch team.

Eurydice would have likely strung Snape up by the balls in the defence of her sister which is why nothing like that ever happened while Eurydice was at Hogwarts.

For all her efforts, Eurydice bore some unmistakable characteristics to their father. She could command a room. She was charismatic, charming, you could never stay mad at her. And she was taken seriously. She was also uncommonly beautiful.

Mary Macdonald and Remus Lupin seemed to almost alternate taking up space in her mind as she daydreamed during Slughorns boring lectures. She didn't need to listen. She had an instinct for potions. One that carried her through the course on a solid E to O grade point average. An added perk was that her apathy for the course drove Severus Snape absolutely insane.

She was staring at the ceiling thinking about Mary's dark curly hair and her chocolaty skin with light freckles and how her laugh just brought the world back to life when her desk mate Lily Evans nudged her in the ribs.

"You could at least pretend to pay attention, OWLs are coming up you know." Said Lily, another person driven insane by Rhiannon's apathy.

"What was I not convincing enough? I could have sworn Sluggy was on the ceiling giving his lecture today." Said Rhiannon sarcastically, as a smug look stretched across her face when Lily snickered.

the bell rang and Rhiannon began to collect her things, Lily waited for her.

"You really should pay attention in class." She said.

"This lecture, now you will talk about my potential." Said Rhiannon, smiling at her friend.

"Well with your raw talent in an arguably skill based course could lead to a fulfilling career as a potions master." Said Lily, crossing her arms over her chest as we made our way to the door.

We were halted by the portly professor Slughorn.

"I couldn't agree more Miss Evans. And I do hope that you will find time to fit the Slug club meeting into your schedule Miss Fields. You two have quite a bit of potential."

"Thank you, professor." Said Lily, "I'll be there of course, and this time I will bring Rhiannon."

"Happy to hear it. Not many students get this opportunity. Have a nice day girls." Said Slughorn as Lily waves good bye, turning Rhiannon around so that Slughorn couldn't see her scowl.

"Marlene wouldn't make me go." Said Rhiannon, as the pair walked back to the Gryffindor common room.

"It's an honour to be invited to those dinners, do you know who else was invited to them?"

"Voldemort." Said Rhiannon, causing Lily to gasp.

"That's impossible." She muttered. "Slughorn would never."

"Slughorn wouldn't have known, Lily, he was a student in the forties, you know." Said Rhiannon, trying not to sound to attached to her daughter. The only people at the school who know about her parentage were Dumbledore and Marlene, and she intended to keep it that way.

"Well, then come for the food, for the dancing, for the dress. I know you love all those things, Ill even let you borrow my hair clip, the gold one you like." Said Lily.

"Fine, why do you want me there anyways." Asked Rhiannon, looking to her friend.

"While glamorous, they are a terrible bore. You know your sister tried to get out of them as much as possible too. Is it a family thing?"

"You could say that." Said Rhiannon, looking down, remembering watching Eurydice let their father have it as she told him of her plan to leave for New York with Orpheus. How he had killed Orpheus later that night. How Eurydice has left anyways.

"If it's so boring, why not invite James, I bet he's dying to go with you." Said Rhiannon, smiling as she watched Lily's cheeks heat up.

"If I wanted everyone's hair to be blue by the end of the evening, I would. But I want to make connections, get a good job when I leave here."

"Fine, but you have to admit, Slughorn would look awfully funny with a blue moustache." Said Rhiannon, while Lily giggled lightly.

"He wouldn't even notice would he? as long as he's making connections" Lily mimicked his voice for the last part and Rhiannon laughed.

"What are you talking about?" Asked Mary MacDonald, catching up to them after her divination class.

Rhiannon looked down, fighting a blush. "Just how amazing, old Sluggy would look with a blue dye job." She said.

"I think I wouldn't like to go to those dinners." Said Mary.

"Oh?" Said Rhiannon, trying to mask her disappointment. If Mary was there maybe they could dance together.

"I would hate to be the centre of Slughorn's attention, can you imagine? I have a date that night with Denvers anyways." Said Mary, completely unaware of the sinking feeling in Rhiannon's chest.

"Where is he taking you?" Asked Lily,

"Oh, he's sneaking us out of the castle to Hogsmeade." Said Mary, "it'll be so romantic."

"I'll bet." Said Rhiannon. "I'm meant to see professor Dumbledore right now. I'll see you later. Tell Marlene I say hi, she'll know what it means."

Lily laughed as she continued her way to the Gryffindor common room with Mary MacDonald. Stupid pretty Mary MacDonald who would have a boyfriend by this time next week. Stupid Lily with her stupid functional family.

Rhiannon made her way to the headmasters office,