DARRY- A Real Marriage

After about ten minutes Darry finally found where we were supposed to park. The hotel had some sort of underground parking that was near impossible to find.

"I know it's not fancy," he said, pulling into a parking spot and shifting gears. "And it's not far from home..."

He's right it wasn't far from home. It's only downtown Tulsa, only fifteen minutes away from the house. That doesn't stop it from giving him a break from everything.

"I love it Darry, we'll have fun here!" I placed a hand on his arm. He smiled at me and I fell in love all over again.

Darry said he wanted to take me on a getaway, but the truth was he needed a break. I overheard him and Pony talking one night and Darry practically pulled his hair out trying to add up the incomes just to make sure we had enough to get through the month.

I had a job, I made good money, and now that we were married he finally let me help with the bills. With both of our paychecks, the bills were more than covered. I think he's just got it in his mind that adding up the bills means stress.

So pony said "when the next paycheck comes around why don't you take Y/N somewhere nice. Maybe you guys could go downtown and spend a weekend in a hotel or something."

After he had left the kitchen he came into the bedroom and told me how stressed Darry was and how he was worried. He didn't need to, the walls were thin and Darry's hair was growing thinner.

So for a couple weeks I convinced him to let pony, soda, and me handle the adding and balancing. He calmed down for awhile, but today I got home from work and he had a bag packed for both of us. Twobit shot me a look when I walked in the door that said "don't argue".

The whole rid downtown Darry stayed silent. A soft hum of the Radio filled the car and I faked a wonder, asking him where we were going.

"Give me one of those" I ordered as he picked up both bags and began to carry them.

"Nope"-he started walking.

"You really are all muscles," I forcefully took my bag from him, "but you're forgetting I can win in an arm wrestle against Randle."

"Right that was the first time you ever met him isn't it?" He asked. He knew the story very well, he just wanted me to tell it to him again.

"Yes it was. It was also the first time I gained any shred of respect from your friends," I said.

He held the lobby door open for me. The distinct scent of oranges hit me, looking to my left I saw a woman mopping the floor. Darry asked her where we would find the place to check in and she pointed to the second floor over our heads. 

"That's not true," he pressed the button to open the elevator and we stepped inside, "Pony liked you."

"He was the only one," I nodded. "But Dallas tried to set my hair on fire with his cigarette the first time I met him."

"You told him to stop smoking and it's Dallas, what did you expect?" he chuckled. 

"Well not that!" I exclaimed.

"We want one of the suite rooms," he told the lady at the desk.

My eyes went wide. Sure finances were fine and we could afford that, but that didn't meant we should. I smacked his arm, but waited until the lady left to get the key to the room to ask what he was thinking. He leaned against the counter top and faced me. 

"We never had a honeymoon," he shrugged, "Why not have one now."

That was one more thing for him to feel guilty about. Another thing he shouldn't feel guilty about. 

He took the key from the lady and we thanked her before heading to the room. 

"Hotels rooms always have this certain smell," he scrunched his nose up and flopped down on the bed. 

I laid down next to him and rested my head on his chest. He wrapped his arm around my waist and trailed his hand up to play with the ends of my hair. 

"You never finished telling me how you won the arm wrestle war."

"Right." I cuddled closer to him and  breathed in his scent. "So the day after Dallas tried to light my hair on fire Steve decided to- unannounced might I add- throw a party in the middle of our date night. Soda had been hanging out with Steve at the DX, and Pony was... where was Pony?" 

"With Johnny."

"Yeah he was with Johnny. So the busted in right in the big middle of us cuddling on the couch. Five little dorks following behind them. None of which I knew until later on. You had to explain Tim's crew and how I couldn't trust any of them."

"That one with the scar on his cheek was making googly eyes at you all night," Darry added.

"Really? I didn't even notice." I felt myself start to get tired, but I kept talking, "I was sick and tired of them throwing cigarette butts and bottle caps on the floor. They knocked stuff off the table for about an hour arm wrestling. Before anyone could challenge Steve I sat down in the chair across form him and slammed my elbow down on the table. They all laughed at me, but who kicked his ass and slammed his arm down to the table?!"

"You did!" he hyped me up, then placed a kiss on my cheek. 

"Darry," I sat up and looked at him, he did the same. "What's going on? You randomly decided to pack up and leave, you're stressing out again-"

"I was gonna get a promotion," he sighed, rubbing his temples with his fingers. 

"That's good though," I said, moving his hands and rubbing his forehead for him. 

"But I told them no, because we would have had to move to Louisiana. And Pony's life is here, your job is here, Soda's work is here. I would have to sell the house because I can't afford the bills for two houses.." he started rambling, but I shushed him.

"Why does this have you so stressed out Baby?"

"Because I was afraid you'd get mad..."

I sat up straight and placing both of my hands on his shoulders I looked deep into his eyes and shook my head. 

"Darry, We're good. If you don't take a promotion that's not a big deal, no it's not even a deal at all."

He sighed and leaned into me, "I was just scared you'd think we had a better chance to start a life somewhere else. You might have thought we could have family there."

I wrapped my arms around him and pulled him back to the mattress so that we were laying down again.

"We've got a family here. I love Pony and Soda with all of my heart and if going away means we can't take care of them then I agree that you made the right decision. If we have to wait until they're grown and out of the house to start a family of our own then that's what happens. It's too difficult out here for Pony and Soda not to have you around. And I made them a promise when we got married, I wouldn't take you away from your brothers," I played with his hair. 

"I love you so much," he said, reaching for my hand. Once he had it he fiddled with my wedding ring. It wasn't real gold, or real diamonds, but it was a real marriage. 

"I love you too."

(I FINALLY UPDATED! WHOOP WHOOP! now where's my cookie?!")