Chapter 18: The Magnolia Hairpin

Yu Xiao went back to the kitchen and found a piece of old ginger. She washed it, sliced it into thin pieces, and boil it in the pot of water. Just as she was coming out from the kitchen, she saw Li Mo and Li Yan rushing home with worried expressions.

Standing under the eaves, Yu Xiao asked, "Did the doctor not come?"

Li Mo's expression was solemn, but Li Shu couldn't wait to complain, "Don't mention it. The doctor wasn't home, so we went to look for the wise woman, but she wasn't home either. That's why we ended up being delayed with coming home until now."

Li Mo didn't bother with Li Shu. He approached Yu Xiao and asked, "How's second brother?"

"He is awake." Yu Xiao said, "Oh, there's ginger soup in the pot. The two of you should drink some while it's still hot." She then brought over some small bowls of soup to the eastern hut.

"I'm going to go look at second brother." Li Mo felt very guilty that he hadn't been able to bring back the doctor. He was worried that his second brother had taken a turn for the worse, but the looming dread finally dissipated once he entered the hut and saw Li Yan sitting on the bed, "Second brother, how are you feeling? Doctor Xu wasn't home, and I'm not sure when he will return, but I'll go check his house tomorrow."

"Oldest brother, I feel much better." Li Yan felt bad when he saw that his oldest brother's face was dripping. It was either sweat or raindrops or both.

"That's good." Li Mo came over and touched his forehead to check his temperature. It was still a bit hot, but it wasn't as bad as before. "You're really do seem better."

---------------------------------------

When Yu Xiao returned from her morning walk, Li Hua was bustling in the kitchen. He had a pot of congee that was only partially covered up to allow it to cool down, and he is mixing cornmeal in a bowl to make steamed corn buns.

Yu Xiao went over and asked him, "What are you making?"

"Some steamed corn buns." Li Hua lightly smiled at her. 

"Is there something I can help with? I can tend the cooking fire."

Li Hua quickly stopped her. "It's okay. Go wash up. The food will be ready soon," said Li Hua as he placed the corn buns he had finished making into the pot to steam. Once he covered the pot with the lid, he went to start the fire.

Yu Xiao scooped out some room temperature water, then went outside and sat down on a bench underneath the eaves to freshen up. Right after she had finished washing her face, she saw a beautiful teenage girl that was wearing wooden clogs. She was carrying a small basket and struggling to walk.

Other than herself and Xing-Niang, the neighbor's wife, Yu Xiao hadn't seen another female coming to this house before.

Curious, Yu Xiao took one step forward and asked, "Miss, who are you looking for?"

The teenage girl paused. She looked at Yu Xiao with her limpid eyes and approached her, "I'm looking for older brother Li Yan."

"Li Yan?"

"Is he home? I heard that he was sick. Is it serious?" Mu Dan nervously asked a series of questions.

Seeing how anxious she looked, Yu Xiao quickly pointed at the eastern hut. "He's over there. He's already much better."

"Oh, thank you." Mu Dan thanked her and hastily went to the eastern hut.

Soon after Li Shu hastily went out of the room with his pants half done, he is carrying Xiao Wu in his arm. They heard an argument inside and soon Li Yan walk out and leave the hut leaving Mu Dan crouched down on the ground, weeping.