Chapter 41: The Argument

Soon, it is harvest season in Goddess Gorge Village. Once one family starts harvesting their crops, every family will follow. Men, women, and children who are old enough to hold farm tools are in their field. 

The Li family only has four acres field, but they have four and a half men in the house, so the women could just relax at home while the men went down to their field. It only took them a bit more than half a day to harvest every corn and sweet potatoes in their fields.

Li Shu just dropped the last batch of sweet potatoes into a sack, and said excitedly. "That's the last one." Just half a year ago, they don't even have any field, but now they have wives, livestock, and four acres of land that just produced their first harvest. They can't help but feel a bit excited.

As they return to the house, they saw Yu Xiao, Bai Lan and Li Man in the middle pavilion. Just a few days before, they build a small wooden pavilion in the middle of the yard. The kitchen is too small for three girls to work at the same time, and their dining table also starts to get overcrowded. After much discussion, they find it is more convenient to build the pavilion with a large table in the middle of the yard for eating, drinking, or just sit around and talking. While they could convert the dining room to expand their kitchen later.

Yu Xiao has been teaching her family's embroidery method to the other two girls, so the pavilion is very convenient for the girls to chat and doing needlework. As expected from a girl who grew up in a noble house, Bai Lan already has excellent needle skills and just needs one or two pointers. However, for the other transmigrator from modern life, Li Man, Yu Xiao needs to show her all the basic. While the girls are working, they also chatting cheerfully. It made the hearts of people listening to them filled with a warm breeze.

At the moment, while embroidering Bai Lan is telling Yu Xiao about red bean snacks they used to make in the mansion they worked before. 

"It's crumbly without being greasy, then in the middle they put sweet red bean paste, it's very delicious!" She only had opportunities to try it a few times, however, she treasured it each time her young madam allow them to eat.

Li Man also reminded of various snacks she missed from her previous life, "I missed egg tart the most, but I also like osmanthus cake. Soft, sweet and smelled of honey."

Bai Lan's face looks a bit confused, she never heard about these snacks that she mentioned, but she quickly remembers that Li Man was first ranked maidservant when she was only second-ranked. Maybe young madam would share more snacks with maidservants that she was close to? 

Li Man quickly noticed her sister's strange face and realized that modern times' dim sum might not be available at these times, so she coughed and said "Anyway, it is quite easy to make if we have some sugar."

Bai Lan knows that sugar is rare and expensive and about to say something, but Yu Xiao said "I'm not sure about rock sugar, but if it's honey or brown sugar, it's not impossible."

Li Man's eyes blinked with excitement, and the girls continued talking about various things.

Of course, the girls didn't know that the Li brothers were listening in the corner. 

Li Hua said with a bit of regret, "Do we have enough to buy some sugar for the girls, big brother?"

"If we don't have now, then we will have it soon." Li Yan said with resolve. When they were building the backrooms before, some people thought his carpentry skill was quite good. He had received some small orders for wooden buckets and basins and so on. It would add a few more coins for their household.

Li Mo didn't say anything but was absorbed in thoughts. Sugar is very expensive for people in their village. The brothers only had rock sugar candy once or twice when their parents were still alive, and Xiao Wu would only have a chance to eat sweets when big aunt come over and bought some for him.