Chapter 43 - Mid Autumn Festival

The time quickly passed to the Mid-Autumn Festival. This festival is celebrating the harvest and family reunion, most notably by appreciating the moon and eating mooncakes. On this day, the girls got up early, and they made a few mooncakes with the guidance of Bai Lan and Aunty Li's.

After they finished, they packed up everything and put aside some mooncakes on two clean food boxes. One for the big aunt, Li Xiangyu, and another one for the little aunt, Li Xiangcao.

When Li Yan goes to work in the town hall during the day, he took the two boxes with him to send to the aunts.

During the past couple of days, Yu Xiao and the men took a few trips back and forth to her wolf cave and brought back preserved meat and vegetables. They also brought back a couple of fruit tree sapling that they could transplant at home. Bai Lan's newly planted cabbages and radishes also started growing happily. Surely, the family will have plenty of food this coming winter.

During the day, the girls also go to town to buy some meat. Even though they have plenty of rabbits and peasants at home, but for a celebration like this, they planned to buy some pork and have a sumptuous dinner at night. This would be the first time the family had a holiday together. After dinner, everyone can sit around and taste some moon cakes while enjoying the full moon.

In the meantime, Yu Xiao also rolled up her finished embroidery screen and brought it to Sister Fang's shop to be checked and framed. Anyway, her job is only the embroidery, for anything else it's up to Sister Fang to decide.

However, no one expects that when the girls returned home in the afternoon, Li Yan had returned and brought back Li Xiangcao with him.

Looking at her blue-black eye, the whole family is shocked.

Li Xiangcao does not say anything, but Li Shu said with anger that the little uncle is not a human being.

Yu Xiao remembered the last time when Li Xiangcao was at their family house at her wedding. At that time, Li Xiangcao said that she would try to re-capture her husband's heart again. Now she returned like this, she is afraid that instead of recovering the man's heart, Li Xiangcao is only getting hurt. After it turns into this, she is very sure that the brothers will not let her return to that house again.

For dinner, Li Xiangcao took the initiative to help Yu Xiao and the two sisters in the kitchen.

In fact, the kitchen is not big enough for all of them. Even after adding some tables around the old dining room, only two people could be at the stove at once so the girls have to divide the work carefully to not bumped into each other. One person cutting the ingredients, another cooking, and another watching the fire. With Li Xiangcao in the kitchen, she could only stand awkwardly for a while before finding some work to do.

"Little aunt, try if this meat is good enough." Li Man suddenly gets a piece of chicken and handed it to Li Xiangcao. 

Today, the Mid-Autumn Festival is a happy day for every family. Li Man thinks that everyone should be happy. As for the family troubles, they will talk about it later.

Li Xiangcao chewed a few times and smiled. "It's delicious, it's delicious."

"That's good, we will also have some fish tonight. Little aunt, do you like it braised or steamed?" Li Man asked her just to have some conversation.

"Whatever. Anything is fine." Li Xiangcao replied softly.

Bai Lan glanced at her and saw her sad eyes and said, "Braised then." That is what Li Yan loves to eat.

"Alright." Li Xiangcao nodded, and then she didn't say anything anymore.

Li Man knows that she is probably not in a good mood, but at the moment, she can't find the right words to comfort her, so she immediately shifted the topic. "Little aunt, why don't you tell us about big brother and the others when they were young?"