chapter VIII ༄

I heard you found somebody else ; at first, I thought it was a lie.

           | Somebody else - The 1975

  Tom pushed the Slytherin common room's door wide open

  Tom pushed the Slytherin common room's door wide open. The younger students tried their best not to look in his eyes, hence they were terrified of him.

He ran into the dormitory and let himself fall into his bed. He wanted to take a nap, but his conscience was not letting him do that for some reason. He was full of anger and guilt. He ran his hands through his hair and closed his eyes. As much as he tried to calm down, he couldn't.

Tom sat up on his bed, his elbows resting on his knees and his hands holding his jaw. The only place that would help him calm down was either the library or the Room of Requirement. He decided on the second option, and left the common room.

He was so angry he didn't even notice how fast he was walking in the corridors. The students that he was about to pass by immediately moved out of his way, not wanting to get in contact with him.

As he arrived on the seventh floor, he bumped into a girl. After he took a closer look, he recognized her: Kassandra Parkinson, a Slytherin. She always fancied him, and he knew it. Indeed, almost every girl threw herself at him, which was one of things that irritated him the most.

"Tom? Are you-"

"I'm fine."

"Are you sure? You seem angry." she said in a concerned tone, blushing.

"Do I need to repeat myself? I said that I'm fine." his voice was low and cold.

"N-no. I apologize. Where are you heading, anyway?"

"No offense, but I reckon it doesn't have to do anything with you. Now, could yo-"

"Do you have a partner?" she asked, cutting him off.

"Excuse me?"

"Do you have a partner? To the dance. You know, tomorrow."

"Do I have a partner, you're asking. Well, Parkinson, I d-" he paused, thinking about his answer. "I don't actually. And I suppose you want to be my partner, am I correct?"

"Well, uhh, yes." she giggled. "Do you want to go with me?"

Tom basically just had his first fight with Julia. Why would she go with him? He lied to her and denied his actions. There is no way she would go with him."

"Yes. I will go with you."

"Alrighty. Then I'll see you at six." she said, running off while giggling.

He entered the Room of Requirement. He sat down at the piano, running his slender fingers across the black and white tiles. His lips slowly parted away from each other, as he started to play Amélie. The sound of the tiles covered the whole room. From Tom's point of view, it was just him and the piano, with an imaginary mist forming around him and the instrument.

He was interrupted by the person, that opened the door. His fingers froze on the white tiles. He looked on the piano and saw the reflection of Julia. He sighed.

"I don't like it when someone interrupts me, Miss.Wallis." his voice was husky and low.

"I was looking for you, figured you'd be here." she said, leaning against the door. "Are you angry with me?"

"I didn't ask why you came here."

Julia looked up, staring into his darkened eyes. "Are you angry with me, Riddle?"

He didn't give an answer. He was angry, but not with her. He looked back at the tiles, as if they called out for him to continue pushing them down, so they could sing.

"I reckon you're mad at me." Julia said, her back still touching the door.

Tom scoffed. "And what exactly makes you think that?"

"You ignored my question. If anything, I will make it up to you. I'll invite you to come with me to the dance, and I guarantee that we will have fun. What do you say?"

Tom felt his heart sink. "I can't." he turned to face her. Seeing her confused look, he continued. "I already have a partner."

The confusion on the girl's face quickly turned into something else. Disappointment. Or sadness. Or maybe... jealousy. Whatever it was, Tom didn't want to see it.

"I think you should go." he said, almost whispering.

"Yeah, I think so too." she turned around and grabbed the handle. "I'm sorry for interrupting you."

He heard the door close in the swiftest motion possible. He felt his chest burning, but it wasn't the same, pleasant feeling. It was pressuring, making him want to scream out of agony.

He continued to play Amélie. Yet, this time, the room was filled with melancholy, and the sound of the teardrops tapping the tiles.

It was raining.