Chapter 10: Illness

"Night Pride, we will have to stay on alert. Makucha and Janja will be coming to the tree of life, and I don't want them past the mountain pass, and so do you all, I think." Rani said. "Fuli. You, Bunga, Beshti, Ono and Anga will patrol at the mountain pass during the day." Kion told the cheetah. "Surak, Baliyo and Nirmala will patrol there during the night." Rani said. Fuli had one question. "But what about the rest of the Tree Of Life then, Kion? Don't the animals that live here need us too?" "Rani and I will take care of the rest. Last time Makucha got past the mountain pass was a disaster." "Until you came back with the roar." Rani interrupted. "Yeah, you're right about that. But this time he won't get that far. We don't know with how many other animals Makucha will come this time, so Ullu will stay at the mountain pass too, so that if backup is needed when Makuch attacks, she can get us all over there." Kion said.

"We could be doing so much better stuff than just hanging around here." Fuli said when she got tired from doing nothing all day long. "If it means that we can keep the animals of the Tree of Life safe from Makucha and his army, then that is okay with me." Beshti said. "You said it, Big B!" Bunga said, in between the chewing on the grubs he was eating, which made loud crunching noises. "Bunga! Can you be any less noisy when you're eating grubs." Fuli said. Bunga gave no response to that.

The hours passed by and nothing happened at the mountain pass. Surak, Baliyo and Nirmala arrived at the mountain pass. "Did anything happen already?" Baliyo asked. "Sadly, nothing happened here." Fuli answered "What do you mean with it being sadly?" Nirmala asked. "It is just that we have been doing nothing all day long. We could have actually helped animals, if we weren't stuck here. We do not even know if Makucha really is planning on attacking the Tree of Life again. He might be completely focused on the Pridelands this time." "I understand that, but we have to do it like this for now." Fuli started walking away from the mountain pass. "Come on guys. We are leaving, get some rest. You all need to be well rested tomorrow morning." Bunga, Beshti and Ono started walking away from the mountain pass too. "Anga! If everything seems safe from the skies, you can also go and get some rest!" Anga checked everything one last time. When she was done she left too.

Once they returned from the mountain pass, Kion walked towards his friends

Once they returned from the mountain pass, Kion walked towards his friends. "Did anything happen today?" He asked. "Nothing. Totally nothing." Fuli said. "Great. Now go get some rest. You will all need it." "Thanks Kion" Bunga said "Good Night everyone." He said. he then turned away and walked off. "You too!" Kion shouted towards him. "Good night to you all too." Kion said as he yawned. "Sleep well, Kion." Fuli said. Kion walked into the Tree of Life. There he went to sleep next to Rani. "Good night." he said. "Sleep tight." she said back. Kion responded to that. "Dream of bedbugs tonight." They then both chuckled a little bit, until they fell asleep.

Mrembo was walking around the Pridelands with Kiara. "Mom, will dad be alright?" she asked. "Your dad will be alright, princess." Kiara answered. "It doesn't look like he is getting any better. I'm scared, mom." The mother and daughter walked up the steps of Pride Rock. Mrembo ran into the den, towards her dad. The king of the Pridelands, Kovu. "Hey Mrembo, how was your day?" he asked her. "It was great. Mom and I walked around the kingdom, and I have met a lot of nice animals." Mrembo told her dad. "Tomorrow morning I want to show you something. I'll be early in the morning, so you better get some sleep. I will wake you up in time tomorrow." "Sure dad." Mrembo cuddled in her dads paws, and she fell asleep.

"Isn't she the cutest cub you have ever seen?" Kiara said after a few minutes. "Yeah, she is." Kovu answered. "She is worried about your health. And to be honest, I am worried too." Kiara said. "I'm not getting any better. I have a feeling that I might not have that long anymore." "Kovu, please. Tell me you are not giving up." "I won't do that, Kiara. But just in case, I wanted to show Mrembo the sunrise from the top of Pride Rock tomorrow morning." "That is beautiful to see, isn't it." "Yeah. If you want to you can come with us." "I would love that." Kiara yawned after she said that. "Lets go and sleep" she said. Kiara cuddled up next Kovu, and they both fell asleep.

It was still dark in the Pridelands, but the king had already woken up. He was feeling terrible, even worse than the days before. He nudged his mate, Kiara, and his daughter, Mrembo, awake. After they both woke up, they started walking up to the top of Pride Rock, but Kovu almost collapsed trying to do so. Luckily Kiara and Mrembo were at his sides quick enough to give him backup, and get him to the destination.

The sun was rising on the Pridelands and the royal family was watching it from the top of Pride Rock. "It is so beautiful." Mrembo said with tears in her ears. "Thank you so much for showing me this, dad." "I love you, sweetheart. Now just enjoy the view." Kovu said in a chapped voice. Mrembo walked closer to her mother, as she kept watching the sunrise happen. When it was finished she turned around. "Dad, lets go back down." She kept walking, but noticed that both her mom and dad weren't following her. "Mom? Dad?"