Chapter 12: A night in the Pridelands

Kion, Rani, Simba and Nala all went to the Pridelands for Kovu's funeral. They met up with Kiara and the rest of the pride at Pride Rock. "Mom, dad, Kion, Rani. You all came." Kiara said. "Of course we all came." Kion said. Rani walked closer to Kiara. "I'm sorry for your loss." she said. "Thank you, Rani." Later that day all the lions went to the funeral.

That night everyone slept inside the den in Pride Rock. Kion tried to sleep, but he couldn't. Neither could Kiara. "Hard time trying to sleep?" Kion asked her. "Yeah. It is just that the last two days have been really though for me. It is just..." Kiara started crying. "I miss him so much. Things just haven't been the same since he passed." she continued. "And all thanks to Janja. It is that I can't fight, but otherwise I would take the first chance I would get to kill him." "Janja can't fight either." Kion commented laughing a little. Kiara started laughing from this too, but after a few seconds it was interrupted by Kion. "Kiara, stay quiet. I think someone is approaching the den." he said. They both stayed silent, which resulted in them both hearing footsteps approaching them. "Wait here, I will go and check it out." Kion whispered to Kiara.

Kion stepped out of the den, and noticed someone was walking up the steps of Pride Rock. Kion got low to the ground, getting ready to pounce whatever was coming towards him, but he waited until he could see who it was. After a few seconds of waiting he noticed it was Janja coming up. He pounced on him and started attacking him. "What are you doing here, Janja?!" he screamed at him.

Kiara heard Kion screaming Janja his name, she rose. She wanted to walk out and teach Janja a lesson for making Kovu sick, which killed him, but someone kept her from leaving. "Mom, Janja was the one who made dad sick, right?" It was Mrembo, who was scared. "Janja was the one who made your father sick." "Can you promise me to stay safe, please?"  "I promise, princess." After Kiara said that she walked out.

Kion was ready to use the roar, but he did not notice that Kiara was running towards Janja, wanting to attack him. Kion roared at them both. It was a loud roar, and the clouds were dark. Kion did not notice much of what was going on around him any longer, and so he did not hear Kiara screaming as she flew away with Janja either.

 Kion did not notice much of what was going on around him any longer, and so he did not hear Kiara screaming as she flew away with Janja either

Because of the loud roar everyone inside the den woke up, and they all ran outside to see what was going on. They saw Kion roaring and Kiara flying away because of it. "Kion, stop!" Tiifu ran towards him, but Kion did not hear it, he just continued, until he got a punch in the side. Kion finally stopped roaring. "Why did you punch me!" he snarled at Tiifu. "Oh, I don't know. Maybe because you just roared at Kiara!" Kion looked at her in shock. "I did?" he asked. He looked around him, and he didn't spot Kiara. "I better go find her. She might be with Janja right now. Kion ran off into the distance.

Kiara woke up next to Janja. "I never knew being roared at would hurt that much." she told herself. She looked at Janja. "Luckily he is still asleep." She rose, but fell down again. "Damn it, my leg hurts too much to walk. I must have landed on it." She crawled closer to Janja, so she could check if he was still alive. Once she noticed that Janja did not breath and did not have a heartbeat she sighed. "Thank the great kings of the past that I won't have to worry about him waking up. I otherwise I would have been hyena food." Kiara shivered at the though of that.

Kion was searching for Kiara, but it was hard to find her, since it was dark. At the same time the Lion Guard was getting the whole pride ready to start searching.

A few hours after the search had started everyone started coming back. "This is useless, we have to wait until it is day. We can not see anything in the dark." Zuri said. "You are right. Vitani roared as a sign for everyone to come back. After a few minutes of waiting everyone returned, except for Kion. "I've been getting complains about that it is way too dark to keep searching, so everyone should take some rest right now, we will get back to searching at sunrise." Vitani spoke. Everyone went back into the den, and a few minutes later everyone was asleep.

Kion was still searching. He was in the outlands, but it was too dark for him to even notice that he was there. The darkness also made finding Kiara impossible. Still he refused to stop searching, but tiredness got to him after a few hours. Kion still refused to stop, until he fell asleep, only a few meters away from the jackals den.