Chapter 28: Realisations

Kion and Rani looked each other in the eyes, not saying anything for a long time. Rani's eyes started tearing up. "You came back." was all she said. "I... I was nearby, and thought that maybe I could, you know... come for a visit." Rani gave Kion a confused look. "So you're not staying?" she asked. Kion glared at Rani. "No, of course I won't!" he snapped at her. Rani was taken aback by Kion's behaviour. But then she quickly reminded herself that this was how Kion was now, and that it would never change, thanks to his scar. The look on her face changed. It showed a lot of feelings at the same time. She finally understood why Kion did what he did, why he walked away, and left her, Cheka and Uon. At the same time she was saddened, knowing that Kion indeed had changed for the worse. Her look also showed sympathy, and guilt. Deep inside she had always been mad at Kion for leaving her. She finally understood that he had to do this. Another thing that could be seen in the look on her face was grief. She lost the Kion she loved. He was replaced by the lion that now stood in front of her. Physically she recognised him easily, but mentally he had changed so much since she last saw him. The last emotion that Rani showed was happiness. At least she was able to see Kion again. She wanted him to stay, but seeing him like this, made her realise what Kion knew all this time. It was best if they would not be together. Kion noticed what he just did to Rani. "I'm sorry." He apologized, after which he ran out of the Tree of Life.

A few minutes of running went by, and Kion arrived in a big open field. He was all alone again. "Grandfather Mufasa." he began. "Yes Kion, I am here." was the response he got from his grandfather, whose spirit appeared in the clouds. "Grandfather, I don't know what to do anymore. I ran away from the Tree of Life because of my scar. After a long time I came back for a visit, and I snapped at Rani right away. I want to have a nice talk with her, but I am afraid that I might lose control of myself while talking to her." "Kion, she understands that you don't want to act like that. She knows that you can't control it too." "I know that too, grandfather, but what if I try to hurt her? I do not want to do that, but I can't control it." Mufasa did not know what to say anymore, except that he should not talk with Rani, but saying that would not be a smart idea. It would hurt Kion's feelings. The wise lion did have to say something. But what? "Believe in yourself Kion, and try to keep yourself calm. Listen to what Rani has to say, and think before you speak." he said, even though he did not even believe in his own words. He knew it would not work. If something bad would be said, even though it could be meant as a good thing, Kion would get mad no matter what. He experienced a scar like this before. At least for Kion it was not as bad as for the other lion he knew who had a scar. His own brother, who was nicknamed Scar. For him it ended up making him not just snap at others more easily. It made him evil. Kion was still a good lion at heart, but the venom made him get annoyed more easily. "I believe you can do this Kion." "But I can't control myself. What if I end up hurting her, or even worse? You know how a scar can change someone. You have experienced it before." Kion was, of course, referring to Scar too. "Your scar is not as much of a problem as it was for him, Kion. Scar had bad influence around him. You do not. You decided to leave, so that would not happen, and it worked." Once Kion heard his grandfather say this, a small smile appeared on his face. "You are right grandfather. Asante." he said. Kion turned around, ready to leave, but he was called back by Mufasa. "Kion." Kion turned around, ready to listen to what his grandfather had to say to him. "Yes grandfather." he responded, indicating that he was ready to listen to what he had to say. "Remember that if you ever need someone to talk to, I will always be here for you." Kion nodded. "Thank you grandfather." Mufasa's spirit disappeared, and Kion walked away, back to the Tree of Life, where he would have a good talk with Rani.

A group of animals was walking across a big frozen lake. "It is close now." one of them said. He was the leader of the group. The animal pointed towards a mountain pass. "There it is." Another animal now stepped next to him. "And you are sure this is going to work?" The leader spoke again. "I have been planning this for a long time, and I know some animals here. I am sure that we will succeed. We will win." "If you say so." the other animal mumbled under its breath. "Just make sure you'll stick to the plan." It was in the middle of the day. "We will stop now. We should wait until it is night. With the daylight they will see us coming." the leader spoke, as the animal walked over towards some rocks. The snow was cold. Everyone stayed close together to keep each other warm as they rested. "Tonight we will be victorious, and I will finally have my revenge." the leader said to himself, before he dozed off into a good sleep.