Chapter 24: Another fire?

Three cubs ran into the den. "Dad!" two of them yelled. Those two were Cheka and Uon. Mrembo was with them, but she did not say anything. Kion turned around and faced the cubs. "What is it Cheka, Uon?" he asked them. "Mrembo told us about the fire, and that you saved her!" Cheka started. "You are a hero, dad!" Uon continued. Kion got a smile on his face. He did not get to say anything, since the cubs jumped at him, and cuddled up next to him. They were exhausted. After a few seconds they both fell asleep. Kion liked the feeling of his cubs, sleeping next to him, so he decided not to move. Rani moved to Kion's other side, and after a short time passed Kion and Rani fell asleep too.

The fire was raging, and everyone heard Mrembo screaming. She was scared. "Somebody, help us!" she screamed. Kion's eyes widened. "Did she just say us?" he asked. He looked around, hoping anyone would answer his question. Someone was running towards him. It was a brown coloured lioness, which Kion recognised. It was Rani. She was worried. "Have you seen Cheka and Uon?!" she asked Kion. Kion turned his head back towards the fire. More screams were coming from it. "Dad, help us!" It was Cheka. Kion didn't hesitate a second and ran into the fire. After a few seconds in the fire Kion heard more screams. This time it was Uon. She screamed from the pain. Not much later Cheka and Mrembo could be heard screaming too. Kion started to have trouble breathing. The pain from the fire became too much, and Kion started screaming too because of it. The cubs stopped screaming, and so did Kion. He collapsed to the ground. His eyes closed and he stopped breathing, just like the three cubs.

Kion woke up, he was breathing heavily. He looked around and noticed that everyone was awake. "Kion, are you okay?" Rani asked him. "No." Kion sighed. "I'm not okay." he stood up and headed out of the den. Rani stood up too, and started following him. Kion turned around. "Please, just leave me alone." he said. A tear rolled down his cheek. Rani started crying. She did not want to let him go, but she had to. She had no choice but to let him walk away. Kion walked back to her, and nuzzled her. "Stay safe, and take good care of Cheka and Mrembo." Kion then moved over towards his son and daughter. "Dad, are you leaving us again?" Cheka asked. Kion lowered himself. "I'm so sorry, but it is best if I leave. Just know that daddy loves you both." Cheka and Uon did not want Kion to leave them again, so they both wrapped their paws around Kion's. "Don't leave." Cheka cried. Uon did not talk, but the tears that came from her eyes, and dropped on the stone floor of the den said enough. She did not want her father to leave her either. Kion now looked at Kiara. "Thank you for all the help you gave me these past few days, asante." he said. "it was the least I could do after you saved Mrembo from that fire. Hearing of the fire made Kion start crying again. "Was it something I said?" she mumbled to herself, but Kion heard it. "I had a nightmare about the fire. Don't blame yourself. You couldn't have known that." Kion now looked at his parents. "I'll be alright." he reassured them. Nala could not stop herself from crying, and Simba looked like he was having a hard time trying not to cry either, and eventually he would fail that. He now turned away from everyone, and started making his way out of the den. Uon tried to run after him, but she was stopped by Rani. "It is best if you just let him." she said. A trail of tears could be seen on the ground, following the route Kion walked.

It was still night when Kion made his way to the border of the Pridelands, where he stopped walking. He sighed. "So this is where my new life begins." He continued his journey by walking into the Outlands.

In the Outlands Jasiri was not sleeping. She just walked around aimlessly. She sniffed the air when she noticed a different scent. It was Kion's. She ran into the direction the scent came from. After some walking she found the lion. "Kion, what are you doing here!" she yelled at him happily. "Just..." Kion sighed. "leave me alone." "What happened?" Jasiri asked him curiously. "I don't want to talk about it, can you just please leave me alone." Kion said. He started to increase the pace, and so did Jasiri. Kion got from walking fast to running, and eventually Jasiri got tired, and Kion got away. Once he was around a corner, and out of sight for her, Kion sighed. "I'm sorry Jasiri, but it is best this way." he said, after which he continued walking.