Chapter 23: New friends

"Kion, can you please tell me why you left without saying anything." Rani asked. "I didn't want to stay any longer, but I can't tell you why right now, I'll come to that later." "But why didn't you tell me anything." "I couldn't. Seeing you sleep so peacefully. I didn't want to wake you up." Kion's eyes started tearing up while he explained the situation.

Uon and Cheka were listening to what their dad had to say. While listening, the two cubs were looking around the den. Cheka stopped looking around when his eyes fell onto someone else. He looked Mrembo right into the eyes. "Hello." he greeted her. "Hello." she greeted back. "My name is Cheka. Who are you?" "My name is Mrembo. I'm the daughter of Kiara." "Kiara... That name somehow sounds familiar to me." Cheka took a few second to think. "Isn't that your mother." Cheka laughed. "She is, but she is also the queen here." "So you're a princess. I am a prince. My mother is queen of the Tree of Life." "Doesn't that make your dad the king?" "It should, but he isn't. I don't know why that he is now." Mrembo looked out of the den. "Do you want to go and play outside?" she asked Cheka, who answered with "Sure, I love to play outside. I will never say no to that." They both stood up. Cheka looked at his mom and dad, who were still talking. "Mom, dad, I am going to play outside with Mrembo." Rani looked at the cub who was even happier than usual. "That is okay sweetheart, just stay safe." "I will, mom." Cheka said as he started walking after Mrembo, but after a few seconds he stopped, and looked at Uon. "Are you coming with us, Uon." Cheka asked his sister. Uon looked up from the spot he was laying at. "Of course I will come with you." she said happily. She stood up and ran after her brother and Mrembo. "Wait for me!" she yelled at them.

Cheka ran after Mrembo, trying to pin her down. Uon was running behind them, just trying to catch up with them. Eventually Cheka got in pouncing distance from Mrembo. He tried to pounce at her, but they rolled around, with Mrembo ending on top of Cheka, pinning him down. Cheka signalled to Uon to pounce at Mrembo, and she did, catching Mrembo by surprise. Uon ended on top of Mrembo. "Pinned ya!" she said. Cheka was just laughing. "Good one, sis." he said.

"The nightmares came back." Kion said. "The nightmares... What was it about?" Rani asked. "I saw Cheka and Uon. Uon was holding on to a tree branch hanging on a cliff. Cheka tried to pull her out, but he lost grip, and fell down, bringing Uon with him. They both landed right in front of me. Dead." "That is awful." "It is. That is why I had to leave. I started going crazy inside because of those nightmares. I'm sorry I didn't tell you anything."

Rani wanted to know more about Kion's current situation. "And why do you look so awful. What happened?" she asked. "What happened was that I tried to save someone's life." "Oh really. Whose life, and how." "It was Mrembo. She was stuck with fire all around her. We couldn't get the fire out, so someone had to go in to get Mrembo out of there. It was hot, my fur was burning, and I had to breath in a lot of smoke, but we both got out alive, and that is what matters." When Kion was done talking, she moved from Kion's side to his front, looking him in the eyes before she started nuzzling him. "You are a hero, Kion. You risked your own life to save the life of a cub." "I guess... It just felt like the right thing to do. I have nothing to live for once I'm healed and out of here."

The playing took a lot of energy out of the cubs. "I'm catching up to you!" Mrembo yelled, while she was running after Uon. Suddenly she was pounced on by Cheka. "Keep running Uon, I'll hold her off!" He got off of Mrembo and started running too, so he wouldn't get tagged. Mrembo was now running after Cheka, and after a few seconds she stopped. Cheka and Uon didn't notice it, until Mrembo started coughing really loud. They both turned their gazes towards the cub. "Are you alright?" Cheka asked worried. Once Mrembo was done coughing, she looked at Cheka. "Yeah, I am fine. It is just that I breathed in a lot of smoke a few days ago. If it wasn't for your father, I wouldn't even be here to tell you anymore." "Because of our dad?" Uon asked. "I was trapped in a fire, and your father was brave enough to come after me, and get me out of it." After hearing this Cheka and Uon turned their gazes towards each other. "Our dad is a hero. We have to ask him more about it." Cheka said, as he started running back to Pride Rock. Uon and Mrembo looked at each other for one second, after which they both started running. "Wait for us, Cheka!" they both yelled.