you deserve better (requested)

You watched the man you once fell for walk out of the restaurant with a look of disgust. You lowered your head in shame as people looked around at you. They'd heard the conversation, they'd heard the way he talked to you, and even worse they seemed to agree with him.

The waiter came back around. "You okay, ma'am? Do you want anything else?" You looked at the full plates in front of you. Your appetite was long gone. You felt ashamed.

You could feel the stares, hear the way people were speaking about you, and you just wanted to crawl out of your own skin. "No. I just wanna go home." You whispered and held your hand out for the bill only for the waiter to shake his head and walk away with a comforting smile.

As soon as you were in the safety of the cramped stall, only quiet surrounding you, you let the tears fall. This has happened one too many times now and you're starting to give up hope that there's someone out there who could see the side of you no one really tries to see.

The sound of the bathroom door opening startled you. You covered your mouth, tears still running down your cheeks. You heard the stall door only two stalls away from you slam against the wall and at the exact same moment you let out a sob.

"Hello?" You heard a voice say and footsteps follow till they were right in front of the door. "Are you okay in there?" You bit your trembling lip and shook your head, realizing then that they couldn't see you. "Not really."

You expected them to just leave at that, just like most people had done. But instead, they pressed, just a little further. "You're not hurt, are you?"

"Not physically." You watched whoever stood outside the door shift their weight from one foot to the other, hand pressed gently against the door. "My date ditched me, all because he found out I'm trans."

"I-I'm so sorry to hear that."

It was quiet for a minute before you heard the woman speak again. "Would you like to come to have dinner with me? I just got here so I haven't ordered yet and I'm assuming you haven't eaten...?"

You opened the door and looked at the kind stranger in front of you. She was beautiful, and already you could tell that beauty shined from the inside out. "I don't wanna impose..."

"Don't be silly. It's only me, I'd love the company. Besides, it's really shitty what that person did to you. There's a lot more to you than what meets the eye and people should give you a chance. I'd be happy to do that."

You wiped the tears from your cheeks and nodded your head. "I'd really love that."

"Oh! I'm Ashley, by the way." She smiled, her eyes lighting up as she did so. You felt your heart skip a beat. She truly was beautiful, but even more than that she had a heart of gold, and that was something you greatly admired. "Y/n."

"Well, it is so nice to meet you, y/n. Now come on, let me buy you some food. You deserve it."

She held the door open for you as you walked out and led you to a table. She pushed a menu in front of you and put her hand on top of yours. "Hey. Order whatever it is that you want. I don't mind at all. I want you to have a good meal."

You felt like you could cry at that very moment. No one has ever been so kind to you before. Ashley was different and you could feel yourself falling for her.

You both ordered what you wanted and made a few lighthearted jokes and conversation until the food arrived.

"I'm sorry you were treated so badly earlier," Ashley mumbled, watching with a small smile as you ate your food.

You were about to speak when she cut you off.

"Don't say it's alright. It's really not." She paused, taking a sip of her water to coat her dry throat. "I hate that there are people in our society who are so judgemental. I hate that someone refused to look past a part of you that is so beautiful and unique just because they're discriminative. It's bullshit. You deserve better than that."

You looked down at your food with tears in your eyes. "I really liked him, too. But... clearly, the feeling wasn't mutual." You chuckled tearfully. You felt Ashley place her hand on your arm. "Don't let him get to you. He's was stupid to let someone so kind and so wonderful go. But that's his loss, my gain."

You smiled at each other and continued to eat. When the food was gone and the bill was paid, you sat across from each other in a bit of sad silence. "Thank you for everything you did for me today. I don't wanna bother you so I can go."

"No, don't!" Ashley tugged your hand and when you turned around you met her soft eyes, watching as a blush covered her cheeks before she lowered her head to hide it from you. "Are you busy? Do you have any plans tonight?"

You shook your head and watched her shoulders drop with relief. "Would you like to hang out? Maybe go for some ice cream or a walk through the park? Or whatever it is you'd like to do."

"Really?" She nodded. "Okay." She guided you out of the restaurant and took you for a walk through the park and then took you home where she gave you her number, promising to see you again very soon.