Chapter 1

Chapter 1

~Dane~

       Friday nights were my least favourite shifts at my job. Expectedly, that was when it got crowded the most, and I was always the one having to deal with all the orders that came by all at once.

       Everyone else working at the movie theatre seemed to have better things to do than to work at the concession stand.

       Ever since rush hour at the movie theatre started, I was constantly darting back and forth between all the snacks and drinks, trying to serve the customers on time before they went to the movies. 

       There was only one other person working at the concession stand, but he was busy taking orders and handing the customers the snacks that were behind the counter. Meanwhile, I had to focus on the popcorn and nachos and slushies and basically everything else.

       As I handed an order to one of the customers, she immediately said, "You forgot something. My song."

       I had to take a second look at the customer to realize it was Carrie. I didn't even recognize her at first because of the wig she had on. And then I realized exactly why she told me I was forgetting her song.

       "I told you I would get it to you after work," I said. "I'm busy."

       "So am I," Carrie said. "I told you, I need the song by tonight."

       "And I told you that I would get it to you after work," I said, moving onto the next order. I was hoping that Carrie would just leave and wait for me to get the song to her after work, like I told her multiple times.

       I should have known better with how stubborn she was.

       I handed the next person their order and sure enough, Carrie was still waiting on the other side of the counter. "You know, the snacks at the concession stand are normally for people who are going to see a movie."

       "How do you know I'm not going to see one?" Carrie asked.

       "Because the only way you'll see a movie in the theatre is if you book it for a private screening," I said. "And considering I work here, I know that we don't have a theatre booked for a private screening."

       Once again, I turned around to continue with the numerous orders that was coming this way. However, Carrie still didn't leave. I should have known that she wasn't going to leave until she gets her way.

       "Seriously, you have to leave," I said. "You're in the way of people waiting for their orders."

       "Fine," Carrie said, surprisingly. But then what she said next was not so surprising. "But I'm not going to leave the theatre until I get my song." She walked off with her snacks, sitting on one of the chairs close by.

       What a pain.

       I looked at what was on the next order before walking over to the popcorn machine. As I was filling a large container, my co-worker asked, "What was that about? Girlfriend problems?"

       "Ew, no," I said. "She's just a family friend." And I really do mean it when I said 'family' friend. Her parents were best friends with my parents, and that was it. I never really got along with Carrie. I mean, we never argued or fought or anything. She just wasn't someone I would become very close with.

       "Seemed serious, whatever that was about," Zion said. "And she doesn't look like she's going to leave any time soon. Why don't you go talk to her?"