1| hailey marshall

"i'd rather live someone else's life."

Hailey Marshall

Hailey Marshall

        The truth is, I love being invisible.

There's this peace that comes with it. That way, no one cares to check if I'm wearing the same pants from two days ago or if I'm on the latest makeup or fashion trend. No one cares about me. As messed up as that sounds, I like living that way. It gives me freedom to do whatever I want without being judged.

But this mindset was all before I transferred to Brick Way High School. Brick Way High made me hungry and thirsty for visibility and attention so badly that I became someone else, literally. I became someone who was loved and admired by hundreds. And that drove me mad.

•••

"Alright, Squidward," the car comes to a stop. "We're here."

Annoyed, I turn to glare at my sister in the driver's seat.

Her facial features have assumed a massive frown, and her brown eyes are now clouded with fatigue. From the dried-up drool plastered over her cheeks, anyone can easily tell she got out of bed in a rush to drive me to school.

"So?" She starts. "What are you still doing here? Your school's right there. Go," Olivia pesters.

"I will."

"Now, Hailey. I need to go back for breakfast."

I turn to poke my head out of the car window to scan the entrance of the school. The warm morning sun has started to share its heat, making the building appear worn out from exhaustion. Judging from the old-fashioned constructions and messy paint covering the walls of the school, I can tell Brick Way High School is the oldest school in town. Despite all this, the building still stands confidently, welcoming returning students for another week of mental torture.

"I swear, Hailey, I will turn into the Hulk if you don't get your butt out of my car."

"Alright, fine—" I catch a glimpse of my straight, brown hair in the rearview mirror as I turn to speak to Olivia. "—I'll get out; just give me a second, okay?"

"How many more seconds could you possibly need? It's just school. Quit being such a baby. You're almost eighteen, technically an adult."

"Just school?" I echo.

She says that like she has no idea how our world has changed over the past couple of months. Maybe she can't see it because she changed along with it. The Olivia I knew wasn't this unsettled, insensitive, and over the edge. I cannot blame her, though. Our life right now is in disorder.