13| pig's blood

"Where the heck have you been?"

Those are the first words I'm hit with as I enter the school's stadium.

The energy on the field, where the game is being played can best be described as insane. The crowd has a life on it's own, their vibrant clothes shine under the stadium LED lights, and the people move like enchanted shoals of fish. Anyone can tell that this is an important game. Well, this game is one of the most anticipated— a game with the rival school. Brickway vs Eastwood. Every student hypes Brickway's team, screaming at the top of their lungs, waving banners, and singing loudly in an aim to push the school's team, and make sure they destroy Eastwood.

I feel like I've betrayed someone, since I went on a date with someone from that school.

I have never been this claustrophobic before, but in the almighty swell of humanity, panic rises in my chest. Or maybe this isn't claustrophobia, but the fear I feel after missing half of Adam's game. This is bad. I never intended to mess up this way, but I already left Calum a little too late, and by the time I could catch a cab, the sky had gotten much darker. I can feel eyes on me from every direction. It's like they all know exactly why I ran late to Adam's game, and they're all silently judging me for it. At this point, I want nothing more than to disappear from the crowd.

"Veronica!"

I snap my eyes to Penelope's face.

"Have you been listening to a word I've been saying?"

No, I stopped listening after she asked me where I've been. I'm not interested in hearing how much I've messed up. I know that already.

She then sighs, and shoves a jersey in my hand. "You better go get changed quickly. You know how Adam is, and things on the field aren't looking too well."

Following her words, I turn to the field, trying to spot Adam in the crowd, however I can't. They're all wearing gears and helmets.

"What are you still doing? Go!" Penelope claps her hands like a coach, before settling back into the bleachers.

I turn around in a hurry, and start heading out to find a bathroom. I pause in my steps when I see Cassie walking up to me with pop corn in her hands.

"Veronica. You're late."

Geez, doesn't anyone have anything different to say to me?

"But what happened? I set alarms on your phone so things like this never happen. Also, I've sent you millions of reminder texts ago. Didn't you get them?" Her eyes drop down to my hands. "Now that I think of it, that's not your usual phone. Did you change it?"

Self-consciously, I grip my phone in my right hand, and squeeze the jersey in the other. "Well, I guess it doesn't matter now. I'm here. That should be the only thing that matters." I try to walk past her, but she drags me back, her popcorn spilling out of the box from the motion.

"Wait, Ronnie. Is everything alright with you? I don't think you're okay. You've been acting unusual ever since that text on Sunday night. This isn't you."

"This isn't you?" Ya think?

I don't know what it is, but I grow extremely irritated by her suspicion; almost infuriated. Either way, I shrug the conversation off. "What the hell are you on about?" I give her a look that tells her she's gone crazy. "Maybe I should be asking if you're okay." I throw the question back at her. "Look, I need to find a bathroom and get changed for my boyfriend. Like you said, I'm late."

She's thrown back by my tone, however, I don't wait to listen to what she has to say next. I leave to find a bathroom. At the moment, I am perfectly capable of saying and doing unspeakable things, because right now, I'm in hot water. I'm hanging by a thread. I'm walking on hot coals. I'm pretty much in deep shit. From the looks of it, I might not even get paid for the poor job I've done so far. I've ruined all of her relationships. Hopefully, I can save Adam's. And not because I care, but because I want my pay.