14| the enemy

Jokes on me for thinking I was actually going to go back to being invisible.

Nah. Fuck that shit.

Veronica's life is far more tolerable than mine. What's a little hate I can't handle? It cannot be that bad. Gabe did reassure me that it's nothing to be intimidated by. They can protect me. Blood? They'd have to scatter the bones of newborn babies and then spray their ashes all over my front door step to intimidate me.

I dust my bum, and I step out of the stall. The second my eyes fall on the red jersey, I feel the urge to run back in and throw up, but I don't. I quickly avert my gaze, and walk straight to the mirror. I stick my hands under the tap. I try to wash them once, but I can't seem to get the ick off my skin, so I end up washing them under the tap for minutes till they get wrinkled. Once I'm done, I stare into the mirror. My heart sinks when I realize that my under eyes have become dark and swollen. I look stressed; my lips are chapped, and my cheeks are sunken.

I take a glance at the jersey soaked in blood through the mirror, before looking away again.

This whole thing is taking a toll on me mentally, I know that, but I'm too stubborn to flunk out. And it's just been a week. What if it gets worse next week? Is all this really worth it? If I quit Veronica's life, it means I'm walking back into the life I initially ran away from. I don't want that.

"Male specie coming through!"

I snap my head towards the entrance to see the dark skinned boy walking in with a hand over his face, and the other out as he navigates the walls.

"I'm covering my eyes, just in case the girls in here are naked. I'm letting you know now," Mikey says.

"It's just me." My voice cracks a little.

Mikey notices it. "Oh..." He mutters, partially surprised to hear me speak. "Hailey, are you okay?" He nearly drops his hands, but stops himself. "I can't bring my hands down till I know you're fully clothed."

This guy.

"Do girls randomly walk around bathrooms naked?" My tone is dry.

"Well, I wouldn't know, since it's my first time coming in here."

"Like you haven't seen it all already."

"Actually, I haven't."

My face is blank as I say, "So, you haven't watched porn?"

His hands fall automatically, and I get a glimpse of his red cheeks before he lowers his head. "Okay, you got me there."

With the roll of my eyes, I slowly turn to the mirror. "Why did you even come in here? There's no need for you in a girl's bathroom."

"Well, I came to remind the imposter that she's still perpetrating an imposture, which means she cannot miss Adam's game no matter what."

I clench my fists. "I know. I'll be out in a second."

"Yes," he says, while shooting me a look in the mirror. "You should be out in a second, because it appears you haven't been abducted by any sexy, blue-skinned aliens, which by the way, should be the only valid excuse for missing Adam's game."

"The fuck? Why is everyone so particular about this stupid game? If you care so much, why don't you put on the jersey and go cheer for him?" I would attempt a sucker punch using the jersey to further express my annoyance, but it's currently dripping in a certain disgusting matter, so no.

Mikey chuckles dryly. "Oh, you kid," He smirks in amusement. "As much as I'd love to see the traumatized look on Adam's face once he realizes that I'm the one moaning his name loudly from the bleachers, I think it's best for everyone that you wear the jersey, Hailey."