9| cassie jeon

"life may not be perfect, but your outfit can be"

Hailey's pov:

       The week after my parents died, I could barely process anything. I didn't want to accept reality. It felt so fake and wrong to live without them around. At that point, I wanted to be someone else; someone who hadn't lost their parents, someone who hadn't lost everything, someone who still had a mum, and a dad. Now, I've gotten what I wanted, but is agreeing to live with two boyfriends really worth taking Veronica's life? 

"What?"

Gabe and Dimitri shoot me looks after I tell them about breaking up with Dean, accidentally. Feeling like a concrete wall is about to crumble over me, I start to explain myself.

"You can't exactly blame me. No one knew they were a thing. And it so happened to be that they had secret meet-ups and little romantic plans together only known to them, and when I didn't fulfill those things this week, he kind of concluded that the relationship was over. And it didn't help things that I acted like I didn't know who he was, which I didn't at the time." I explain in one breath.

Before Gabe and Dimitri can say anything, a knock sounds at the door.

"Miss Gates, you have a friend here to see you."

I feel pressured. "No, I don't want to see any of Veronica's friends. Can't I just take a break? This is already too much for me." I say for only the bodyguards to hear.

"Okay," Dimitri nods her head, standing from her chair whilst tucking the laptop back in. "There's a quick fix—"

"Which friend?" Gabe gets up from his chair, and answers the maid behind the door. I don't hear a reply, but from the expression on his face as he looks at Dimitri tells me it's someone they don't like. "Dee, we need to get outta here. It's Cassie."

"Oh shit. That evil spirit?" Dimitri quickly picks up the laptop case.

"What? What's the problem? It's just Cassie."

"Cassie and her pet pig." Gabe corrects. "It's just your first week. Soon, you'd find out how bad of a friend circle Veronica keeps." He helps Dimitri pack up.

My eyebrows furrow. "Then it's not okay to make me go through this."

"That's why we're paying you. You have to live with this." Gabe gives me a warm smile.

They open the door, and I get a glimpse of the maid outside. Dimitri turns to me, sweat forming on her forehead. "About Dean, we can fix it. You just need to write him back, and then find out all of the secret meet-ups, and continue doing them like Veronica would."

"Have fun!" Gabe hollers next.

In a second, they are out the door.

"May I send Cassie up, Miss Gates?" The maid pokes her head in.