7| dean agrawal

"you're my favorite secret."

Hailey's pov:

Hailey's pov:

There is this song I listen to whenever I need to get away from my thoughts.

It's called "Symbios", the beautiful classical by Ever so blue. Every time it plays, I shut my eyes and see my father seated in front of his grand piano, striking the chords and swaying his head along. And I'm just sitting there beside him, enjoying the comfort his chords bring me. No one's ever with me when I listen. The way it is now. There's no Veronica. Just me, Hailey, sitting all by myself in the bleachers under the warm sun, wishing I could see my dad play one more time.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, I feel a hand brush my ears, pulling out my earbuds.

My gaze abruptly shifts to my right, and I find myself staring wide-eyed at the unexpected guest. His bright smile momentarily blinds me, but as my vision clears, confusion sets in when I recognize him. Without his glasses, he looks subtly different—his hair tousled, a piece of paper caught in his dark, wavy locks. Under the midday sun, his grey eyes sparkle. It's the boy from the parking lot four days ago—the one I collided with. There's a certain mixed charm about him, hinting at Indian and something else.

Now that I think about it, his comment, "Last night was fun. Let's do it again sometime. My place?" makes a lot more sense now. He thought I was someone else. And that someone else I shall continue to be.

He shoots me a small smile. "This isn't our usual spot. Did you change it?" He eyes the football field.

"Oh, uh—no, I just wanted to come here, that's all."

His smile widens when he glances at my lips. He then flips his head around, observing the area before leaning into me. "Okay, no one's here." He places his lips on mine.

My heart stops.

I back away immediately. "What was that? Why the hell did you just kiss me?"

"Why wouldn't I kiss you?" He chuckles.

There's a fluttering in my stomach as I blink repeatedly at the boy in front of me. The moment seems unreal, and if it isn't for the tingles on my lips, I'd think I imagined his lips on mine.

"Veronica, it's fine. I made sure we were alone. No one saw us."

"Still, you shouldn't kiss me. I have a boyfriend."

His smile wavers. "Okay, it's weird you're bringing that up."

"Why is that weird?"