30| a madwoman

"Beware the fury of a patient man," John Dryden once said.

The light of dawn seeps through the trees. The calm of the morning is soothing. It's 7:00 am, and I can already feel the pearly glow in the sky. The rising sun casts a rosy hue across the sky, making the earth a prepossessing sight. In simpler words, it is a beautiful morning; however, what I plan to do will not be described as beautiful in anyway.

And that's all Penelope's fault.

I've been patient for a long time, and my patience has been abused. Penelope has been out to get me from the very start. Each time, I let her go. I'm not letting go this time. This is it. I'm done with her bullshit.

Fuming in anger, I march through the parking lot in my combat boots. It hasn't been up to a minute since I hopped out of the Van, and Gabe and Dimitri are waiting and watching from behind, both curious as to how I plan to handle this.

My hair is tied up in a messy bun. Makeup's applied lightly. Cargo pants paired with a black sleeveless top. I'm dressed to drag Penelope through the halls of the school by the air, since that's a favorite weapon of pain. She not only trashed Veronica's house, but she also spray painted derogatory remarks all over the walls; derogatory words which are impossible to clean off. That stupid act of hers earned a nasty call from Veronica's parents from France.

I honestly don't get why women turn against each other.

We're already looked down on by the fucking Patriarchy. We should stand together and empower each other. Not bring the other down. And all these for some abusive douche bag? Unbelievable.

If Penelope wants to pull me down, I guess I have no choice but to drag her down with me.

I'm almost out of the parking lot when a motorcycle stops in front of me.

My life flashes right before my eyes so I stop for a second, staring at the insane driver underneath the helmet. This jerk nearly bulldozed me, and sent me into cardiac arrest. I hold my waist, as I wait; waiting for an apology. But as soon as the helmet is off, I forget my need for an apology.

It's Dean.

"Thanks for breaking me out of jail."

I watch him flip his hair while placing his helmet down. He brushes a hand through his full, wavy hair as he climbs off his motorcycle. I'm mesmerized by each move he makes. I have to stop meeting Dean like this. I need to control these feelings. Better if I shut them out. It's easier said than done. Whenever he smiles and stares at me like I'm the only girl he sees, I feel myself floating away into the galaxy.

I catch myself swooning over him. Fuck, I'm so dead.

When he takes a step closer, I mask my emotions.

"Where were you marching off to?" He squints at me.

He's not wearing his glasses and I can see his almond eyes clearly. Don't be weird, Hailey. I wonder if he can see me without his glasses. Well, of course, he's not blind.

"So?" He asks, parking his motorcycle. "Who's the lucky person awaiting to receive your wrath?"

I playfully ask. "Want to join?"