31| the madwoman with not one but three boyfriends

Dean sighs, facing Adam. "Would you please leave me alone?"

"Oh, what? You're already tired? That was not the case yesterday when you showed off your cute superhero skills." Adam moves into Dean, trying to infuriate him.

"I really don't have your time, Adam." Dean says calmly.

"Well, it's a good thing I do." Adam shoves him. His eyes fall to me quickly, then they move back to Dean. "Why the fuck are you always around her now? First it was that worm, Mikey, and now you? What is up with the boys at this school? Do I need to tell you not to go near whatever's mine?" He pushes Dean again, making him stumble.

Dean's ears turn red. His jaw clenches. "You don't want to touch me again."

Adam scoffs, itching at the Band-Aid on his cheeks and nose. "What? Is it time for you to get all Jackie Chan? I can just throw your ass back into prison. Permanent this time."

"Then your girlfriend would just break me out again."

My skin prickles when Dean says that. I'm scared Adam will respond, and then stress the conversation onto "the girlfriend", but thankfully, Calum interrupts right in time.

"Do you guys mind? I don't wanna hear your fucking conversation. You can take this elsewhere," Calum says. But the next thing he says, sets fire to the rain. "I'm trying to talk to my girlfriend."

I crumble.

No, don't say that.

I cough. "Uh, he means a friend who is a girl. Get it? Like a female friend."

All three of them grow silent immediately, their eyes glued to my face with questions after questions running through their minds. A minute passes by, and the three boys stand still. I don't know if I sold the lie, or not, so I just stare back at them, one after the other.

Adam's swollen face is pale. He has Band-Aids covering most part of his face, but I can still read him—he's shocked; in denial. He's too egoistical to understand rejection. He's the King. No one would be stupid enough to cheat on him, right?

Calum's eyes glisten and I see tears flood them, but he quickly detaches his gaze. He's the easiest to read— he's heartbroken. He moves his white hair over his face, trying to shield his vulnerability.

Dean's just quiet. His face doesn't give anything away. I can't read him. He boldly maintains eye contact with me. I can't tell if he's zoned out, and probably doesn't realize he's staring.

I rethink my choice of excuses. Who in this era would think girlfriend means a female friend? Am I that dumb?

Adam breaks the silence. "What the fuck is he on about, Fronnie. Who is this prick?"

"Hey, don't speak to her that way." Calum's voice breaks, but his expression is stone cold as he death glares Adam.

Adam stays silent for a moment, amusement evident on his face. "I don't know what lies she has fed you to think you have a say in this. She's my fiancée, dick."

I drown out their voices after that huge bomb.

I'm now consumed in the world Dean and I have started. It's even worse as I see it slowly burst into flames. I'm lost in his eyes. He has no emotion playing in them, but I know he has figured it out even when the other two are still stroking their egos. On the spot, I nearly start crying. I can feel every thing that brought happiness in the past few weeks slipping through my fingers.

"Don't toy with me, dude. Not in the mood." Calum turns to me. He has transitioned into denial. "Tell him to get lost."

That's his way of asking me if it's true. But I'm too weak to respond, or think of a way to cover this up, and quench the fire.