22| the prodigal niece

I'm not Christian.

However, I know the story of the prodigal son— a wayward son who squanders his inheritance but returns home to find that his father forgives him.

I bet a million dollars that wouldn't be happening to me.

With shaky hands, I push open the front door to Hailey's home. The home I desperately wanted to be away from. I'm here, not by choice. I know Gabe and Dimitri won't let me sleep in Veronica's bed tonight, neither will her parents let me be after the ruckus I created at family dinner, and I need a place to crash for the night. So, I chose Hailey's home.

I prefer the frying pan to the fire right now.

A wave of nostalgia sweeps over me as I step through the door. It's already late at night, but every light in the house is turned on, so I'm guessing there must be someone roaming around presently. And I stand correct when I lock eyes with Olivia sat on a couch.

Her eyes widen as she watches me with a look of shock. She has a pen between her lips, and her books sprawled over her thighs. She appears to be frozen in disbelief for a few seconds before her expression changes to that of relief. If I am to analyze this weird behavior of hers —sitting with full lights on in the living room instead of her room— I'll say she's been waiting for me. She's been hoping I show up. And that means she's worried about me. I would comment on her heartwarming actions, but she never admits to it, and I'm too stressed out of my mind to argue with her.

Olivia quickly shrugs, and replaces the relieved expression with a smug one. "Look who's finally home..." her eyes drop down. "...And, you look like a brunette Rapunzel after she's been hit by an angry makeup truck."

I sigh and walk pass her, heading for the stairs. "And you still don't lock doors. I could have entered with a knife, and stabbed you without you knowing."

"I'm pretty sure if you stabbed me, I would know." She responds.

Not the point.

"Also, the cab's waiting for you outside." I continue my journey up the stairs that leads to my bedroom— the small, yet comfortable bed with soft blankets that welcome me into dreamland.

"What?" Olivia's loud voice makes my ears hurt.

Sluggishly, I drag myself up as I reply softly. "I don't have cash on me, so I kinda hoped you'd pay for me instead."

"Are you fucking kidding me?" She huffs in frustration, but still gets up and scouts for her purse. "How much is it?"

I glance down at her, then I give a nonchalant shrug.

Her dark eyes shoot daggers while her lips curse at me. The cab starts to horn wildly, disrupting the peace in the neighborhood. Annoyed by the sound, Olivia quickly turns away from me, and dashes out the front door.

Letting out another sigh, I proceed with my sluggish movements.

Today feels like a fucking asteroid hit earth. And earth is me. Few hours before the impact, everything was pleasant for me, especially after pulling down the enemy. Then the asteroid hit, and caused damage. I may look okay when observed from the outside, but I swear if someone could look inside of me, I bet they'll see a 338-mile/545-kilometer-wide space rock annihilating every piece of my body, messing up my hormones and emotions, and covering my insides in smoke and fire.