5| someone else

"I am you."

   Hailey's pov:

Hailey's pov:

Grieving processes are unique to people.

People deal with loss differently; some seek solace through intensive therapy, my sister copes by overworking, studying all night, and burying herself in her academics, while I navigate the void by embodying the idea of someone who isn't here.

There is no right or wrong way to grieve.

I exhale loudly, gazing at my full-length mirror. The 'minions' stickers I put on the sides inexplicably make me feel hopeful every morning, but today, that's not why I'm standing in front of my mirror. Currently, I'm in my underwear, rooted in this spot for minutes, because I see myself differently now. I always thought I needed a redesign; some days, I'd appreciate my face and body, but bad days would come in waves, making me feel like I had gained weight and not as pretty as the other girls on social media or at school. It's crazy how this body is considered 'the prettiest, the most popular, the one who rules the school.' I can't wait to walk out the door and be her.

But there's a minor problem that's still keeping me in my room—I do not want to wear fishnet tights.

Unfortunately, I have to because, according to Gabe and Dimitri, 'if you're to impersonate her, you have to dress like her.'

Summoning the courage, I get dressed. It's not what I would usually wear, but I'm shocked at how good it looks on me. Black tights cover my thin, long legs, a black, plaid skirt hugs my hips, ending at mid-thighs, and the red Wilfred pose long-sleeved top I have on has its three last buttons undone; Gabe and Dimitri specifically told me to unbutton them. I pair the outfit with black combat boots. And for the final touch, a Dior designer purse.

Excited, I start to reach for the black purse hung by the wooden hanger close to the door, but I pause in my steps when I remember I would have to walk by the eyes that belong to my sister and my aunt before leaving the house, and they definitely know I do not own a purse as expensive as this.

With that realization, I tuck the purse inside my school bag and sling it over my shoulders.

"Come on, Hails! It's time to go to school. I've already had breakfast so I wouldn't be as cranky as I was yesterday." Olivia chuckles outside my door. "Also, I'm in a good mood today after that A."

Yep. We won't hear the end of it.

Exhaling once more, I step out of my room.

"Well, that's a new look." Olivia eyes are wide in disbelief, with a glint of concern in them.

A movement by the stairs catches my attention, and my skin prickles when I notice Aunt Sierra standing there with a box in her hands. Her blonde hair is tied up in a bun, and her dusty clothes cling to her lean, tall figure. She's off work today, so she's using her free time to unpack the rest of her things.