Chapter 7: Friends

Jeremy walked down the hallway of the school and saw Michael. "Michael!" Jeremy waved and ran over. "Jeremy my buddy how's it hanging?" Michael said. Jeremy laughed, "Michael it's going great. Christine and I are hitting it off, I'm not failing any of my classes and I've finally made friends, all without a SQUIP"

Michael laughed halfheartedly, he truly was happy for Jeremy but it was hard to hear how he was doing so well at a new school whereas Michael had only made a single friend, no romantic partner and he wasn't sure if any of his teachers liked him. "Yeah Jeremy sounds like your life is fantastic," Michael said, "Are we still up for gaming later tonight?"

"That was tonight?!" Jeremy said in shock. "Yeah it was, can you not make it?" Michael asked. "Well, the movie theater was doing a showing of Chicago and Christine wanted to go see it, I completely forgot we had planned to meet up tonight." Jeremy smacked himself in the face, "I'll call Christine and cancel it right now." Jeremy didn't want to be the kind of guy he was when he had the Squip. He didn't want to abandon Michael for another person, he wanted to still be close friends with him and be able to talk with each other freely without worrying about judgment. He wanted the close-knit relationship that he had with Michael to be the same as the relationship they had before the SQUIP incident.

Michael, on the other hand, was having the complete opposite train of thought. He didn't want to be the clingy best friend preventing his best friend from enjoying but his life with all of his friends and girlfriend. He just wanted to let Jeremy live his own life. Sure he missed their old friendship but he wasn't going to get in the way of Jeremy's relationship with Christine. "Jeremy, it's fine you should go." 

Jeremy looked at Michael with confusion, "I promised you we would hang out today, do you not want to do that?" Michael smiled, "Jeremy I'm not going to get in the way of your date with Christine. Sure I'm kind of bummed out that we can't hang today but you should go spend time with your girlfriend." Jeremy smiled, "Thanks Michael, you're the best friend I could ever ask for!" Jeremy hugged Michael, "I promise I'll make it up to you."

Michael smiled, "No need Jeremy, just have fun on your date with Christine today okay?" Jeremy nodded, "I'm going to go find Christine now Michael. Thank you again." Jeremy ran off to go find his girlfriend. Michael smiled and watched him leave and walked around looking for something to do or someone to talk to. 

Evan saw Michael and ran over, "Hey Michael." Michael smiled, "Evan, nice to see you how have you been?" Evan smiled, "I'm doing well. How are you doing?" Michael smiled, "I've been doing good. Where are you headed?" Evan shrugged, "I guess the library since I have a free period." Michael laughed, "Is the library at your school good?" Evan shrugged, "Its nice and it has quite a few books but the librarian's a different story. She's like a dragon guarding her den and your quest is not to upset her. If you even make a single sound you might as well be a goner." Michael smiled, "Maybe I should come with you to take on this quest?" Evan nodded, "Follow me"

Evan took Michael to the library opened the door and walked in. "Woah, the library is massive," Michael whispered to Evan. "NO TALKING IN THE LIBRARY" the librarian yelled. She looked at Michael "Oh you're one of the new ones, so I'll let you off but Mr. Hansen, I expected better from someone who visits the library as much as you do. I'll let you off for now since you're with a new student but don't let it happen again. NOW GET OUT OF MY SIGHT"

Evan nodded quicky, grabbed Michael's hand and ran to the corner of the library. "You weren't kidding-mmph" Michael was cut off by Evan's hand over his mouth. Michael looked at him and Evan put his finger over his lips pointing to the librarian. Michael nodded in realization and pulled out his phone.

Michael: Hey Evan

Evan: Michael, what are you doing we're going to get in trouble.