Chapter 16: Doubt Comes In

Michael was sitting talking to Jeremy about Evan. "Evan's such a nice person. He's so fun to hang out with even if he's a little anxious," Michael gushed. "He sounds cool, I wish I could meet him," Jeremy said. The stories Michael was telling him about Evan did sound cool and he kinda wished he had been there.

"Jeremy, what about you? What happened on your date with Christine?" Michael asked. Jeremy shrugged, "We mostly just talked and hung out together as couples do." Michael nodded, "It sounded like it was fun." Michael was happy for his best friend but he did wish they hung out more. Those thoughts usually plagued Michael's head entirely but today they weren't.

Ever since he became friends with Evan he found his world didn't seem to revolve around Jeremy anymore. He started realizing how he should think about himself more and how not every activity had to be done with his friend. He realized now how he didn't need to just sit and wait for Jeremy to be free to go out and have fun with friends. Sure he still wanted to hang out with Jeremy sometimes but those feelings were more suppressed than they usually were.

"We talked about Christine's first theater role which was a fun story," Jeremy said. "Oh what was that role?" Michael asked. "She played one of the apple trees in the Wizard of Oz when she was in second grade," Jeremy said. "Ohhh that's cool. That kinda reminds me of Evan, he likes trees. We had a conversation about this cool orchard that he knows of," Michael said starting to ramble about Evan.

Jeremy listened to Michael talk about Evan. This was Jeremy's first time hearing Michael talk about something other than out of print games and retro soft drinks. It was nice that Michael had made a new friend he could depend on in Evan. "It's cool that you've made a new friend Michael," Jeremy said smiling. Michael nodded, "Yeah it's cool to have someone to hang out with besides you."

"Oh speaking of hanging out I don't have a date with Christine this afternoon, she had a hangout with some of her theater friends today. If you want do you wanna hang out later? Beat Level 10 of Apocolypse of the Damned? Get stoned in your basement? Whatever you want to do would be cool with me," Jeremy said. "Oh Jeremy I wish I could but I already promised I'd hang out with Evan today. We're going to hang out at that orchard that we talked about," Michael said.

"Oh... that's okay I guess. We can always hang out some other time," Jeremy said. "Thank you so much for understanding," Michael said, "I gotta go meet up with Evan now. Bye Jeremy!" Michael waved then turned and ran off to go meet up with Evan. "Yeah... Bye Michael," Jeremy said.

Jeremy was bummed Michael couldn't hang out but they would always have other days that they could hang out. Jeremy put his hands in the pockets of his blue cardigan and began to walk down the hallway before he was stopped by a voice. "You know he's going to replace you right?" the voice said.

Jeremy turned around to see the same boy that had offered him the Mountian Dew the other day. "Michael would never replace me," Jeremy said with confidence. "Are you sure about that Jeremy? He's already hanging out with a new friend, he even chose to hang out with that friend over you," Connor said walking up to Jeremy. That confidence Jeremy had quickly faltered as he listened to what Connor was saying. "H-he didn't choose that friend over me, they just already made plans first that's all," Jeremy said trying to convince himself he was right.

"Yeah? Well what's going to happen when they continue making plans without you? What's going to happen when Michael decides that he likes Evan better than you? When he slowly starts forgetting about you? What happens then?" Connor said looking Jeremy in the eye. "Michael will always be there for me, right?" Jeremy said unsure of himself.

"That's what you think. You think that since Michael's been there for so long but he could leave you just like that," Connor said snapping his fingers at that. Jeremy knew that the other day he assumed that Michael would always be there for him but maybe that was a wrong assumption. He took Michael for granted and Michael might stop hanging out with him because of it.