Chapter 20: Mistakes Have Been Made

Evan walked into 7/11 talking to Michael. Evan had tried calling Jared to hang out since they haven't in a while but Jared never returned his call so he agreed to go to 7/11 with Michael. "So I just found out that this pigeon documentary I loved uses the same sound effect that Kitchen Nightmares does," Michael said talking about something random. Evan nodded to what Michael was saying and walked to the slushie machine to get some drinks.

"THE DAMN SLUSHIE MACHINE IS BROKEN," Someone in a trenchcoat yelled frustrated taking out a gun and shooting the machine.  Michael and Evan turned to look at the person who had just shot the slushie machine. "Oh my gods JD we're gonna get kicked out because you kicked the machine and we still need to test these sodas to deactivate the thing," Connor said. 

"What do you need sodas to deactivate?" Michael said. "Uh, nothing. We're just going to get going now," Connor said grabbing the sodas and getting ready to leave but before he could he met Evan's eye. Evan looked at him quickly before looking away. He had bad experiences with the whole Connor Project thing and still felt that there was something suspicious about Connor suddenly coming back.

Connor turned away from Evan as quickly as he could, grabbed the sodas, and he and JD ran off. Michael turned to Evan. "Okay that was weird?" he said. "Yeah... it was," Evan said. "Well if we can't get a slushie from here cause the machine is broken then I guess we could get some sodas?" Michael suggested. Evan nodded and they both started heading towards the soda aisle. "Woah they're selling Mountain Dew Throwback, or they just repackaged normal Mountain Dew. Eh, I'll buy it anyway," Michael said. Evan nodded and turned to look at the other sodas. 

While looking at the sodas he noticed normal green Mountain Dew and remembered the pill in his pocket. He took the pill out of his pocket and looked at it long and hard before grabbing a bottle of Mountian Dew. He wasn't going to take the pill for sure, he should just have the Mountain Dew just in case, right? 

"Evan, are you coming?" Michael called out to Evan from the register. Evan nodded and grabbed the Mountain Dew and ran to the register. Jenna who was working as the cashier at the 7/11 rang up their total slightly shuddering when she scanned the Mountian Dew. "Hey Jenna, how have you been?" Michael said attempting to make small talk. Jenna stayed silent and handed them their products. "Thanks Jenna see you around," Michael said and walked out of the 7/11 with Evan.

Michael handed Evan his Mountain Dew and they began walking around with no particular destination. "Do you want to go to the park? There's a really nice one past that huge mansion on 21 Chump Street," Evan suggested hoping they could go look at the park. "The trees there were pretty amazing and I was hoping I could take some pictures," he continued hoping his friend wouldn't think he was weird. Jared always used to tease him about liking trees too much and it made him worried that everyone thought he was weird.

"Sure Evan, sounds like fun," Michael responded and they both started walking to the park chatting about nothing in particular. When they passed the house on 21 Chump Street however Evan noticed a group of people walking out of the mansion.  When he looked closer at the people and noticed that Jared was in that group of people. Was Jared getting bored of him? Was the reason he was ignoring him because he found people who were above him? Was it because he wasn't good enough?

"Hey Evan you good? You kinda just froze, is something wrong?" Michael asked concerned. Evan turned away and shook his head. "No no I'm fine. L-lets just go to the park," he said. Michael shot him a questioning look but decided not to press the issue any further.

When Michael and Evan got to the park they sat down on a nearby bench where Evan pulled out his phone and started snapping pictures of the trees while Michael watched. "Do you want me to send you pictures of these amazing trees?" Evan asked bracing himself for being laughed at.