Chapter 4

Charlie awoke from her nap a few hours later around 4:30. Walking out while rubbing her eyes she bumped into the table stubbing her toe. A startled cry left her mouth catching the attention of both men down stairs. Dropping the paper he had picked up Bruce bolted up the stairs and getting to Charlie in record time.

She sat on the ground holding her toe crying. Swooping her up in his arms quickly he asked her what happened.

"I hit my toe," she sobbed into his shirt.

"It's going to be ok," he said hushing her cries while rocking her softly in his arms. Leaning back a little she wiped her eyes with the back of her arms her bottom lip still wobbling a little.

"You ok," he said pushing some of her blonde curls out of her face.

"Ya-a" she said hiccuping a little.

"Good," kissing her forehead he gave her a soft hug before placing her back on the ground. Latching onto his leg she hugged him. Placing her small feet onto his much larger one she clung to him. Taking a step he watched as she smiled still attached to him as he walked with her on his foot. Going down the stairs proved to be a challenge but he made it laughing at the bottom as she jumped off with a kick.

"Charlotte come dinners ready," Alfred said calling for her from the kitchen.

Eating quickly they looked to see that the time read. 5:50 the Galla was in 40 minutes.

"Do I get to wear my pretty princess dress," she said hopping from her chair.

"Yes, an right now we need to get you in it and do something about this mess," he ruffled her hair not knowing how to handle it. It was beautiful and the most he knew to do was brush it. He was learning to braid at the moments and his pony tails were impeccable if he did say so himself.

While in his suit Bruce was taking a brush through her tangled locks. Her dress and little black flats were on as she swung her feet. He let her talk about a dream she had while napping. Taking the front pieces he attempted to braid them back but failed terrible.

"Daddy I don't look like a princess," she said giggling as she looked in the mirror. Grabbing a sparkly head band she put it in her hair letting it pull back her bangs. Her little ringlet curls were enough to make any women envious of her hair. "See sparkles make me look like a princess,"

"Your right they do," he said nodding in agreement.

"Daddy look we match!" She said excitedly when he picked her up. She was right his tie was a perfect match to her navy colored dress.

"And your right again," he wouldn't admit he purposely matched her so people would know she was his.

Walking out to the car that Alfred had brought around they chatted animatedly in the back seat till they came to a stop in front of a very expensive building.

"Now do you remember what I told you?" Bruce questioned her.

"Stay with you and don't talk to strangers!" She answered right off the bat.

"And if anyone makes you scared and I'm not there," although he couldn't imagine a time were he wouldn't be there to protect his little girl.

"Spray them with this!" She said taking a can of grade a knock out gas out of her little purse that hung across her. Now some may say that's dangerous and bad parenting but he thought it was smart and protective.

"Good," as they finished their little conversation the door was opened by Alfred who would be back around 9 to pick them up. Bruce came out first as the cameras went crazy on him flashes everywhere. Reaching into the car he picked Charlie up placing her on the ground next to him. Grabbing his hand with both of hers she stayed close practically hiding behind him. Gasp left some of the onlookers mouths as they watched the billionaire walk with his young ward. This would be the first serious showing of both of them. Random outings were one thing but a private Galla was another.

"Mr. Wayne! Mr. Wayne! Who's the girl?" Shouts started after that one comment and the flashing began again. A small whimper behind him made him stop. Looking down at Charlie he saw her distraught face and immediately picked her up to cradle her against his chest.

"Daddy their scary," she whispered making him glare at the paparazzi for scaring his little girl. Taking his EMP out of his pocket he pressed the small button disabling all the cameras around them.

Not waisting time he marched into the building successfully dodging the rest of the news reporters that hide inside. Placing Charlie onto the ground he took her hand.

The curiosity in her washed all the fear of the people outside away as she saw everyone in the big ballroom. Following behind Bruce she was oblivious to the stares they were getting.

"Bruce, nice to see you," a tall man with glasses and black hair said smiling at him showing his pearly whites.

"Clark," he said with a nod.

"Is this her?" The whole league knew of Charlie but had yet to be graced with her presence. Bruce didn't want to over whelm her with to many people. Inside he really knew that he just didn't want to share his little girl.

"Yes, Charlie this is Clark one of my friends from work,"

"Is he one of your special friends from work," she whispered excitedly.

"Yes," she jumped up a little and turned to the reporter with a secret smile he didn't know a four year old could pull off. It was a look a bat and only a bat could pull. "Nice to meet you...superman," she whispered the last part making sure no one heard.

He was completely shocked that she somehow figured out who she was but considering who was raising her he knew he shouldn't have been that surprised. Looking at Bruce he saw that he had a proud smirk on his lips watching his daughter.

"So your raising a detective I see," he said making the other man let out a short laugh.

He looked ready to reply when a squeal of a few women were heard.

"Brucy!" One said waddling over in her sky scraper heals.

"Lady's," he said shorty pulling Charlie slightly closer to him so she wouldn't catch anything they were giving off.

You never know, cheap could be contagious.

"Oh who is this cute...thing," one said leaning down to squeeze Charlie's cheek. A slap to her hand from the feisty little girl had her recoil quickly.

"How rude!" She said glaring at the four year old who held it just as strong.

"Charlie what have I said about hitting?" He scolded halfheartedly.

"To knock them out?" She said confused. Clark let out a bark of a laugh but covered it up with a cough.

"No, that we don't hit," he corrected with a smile.

"Yes now apologize," the snobby women exclaimed.

"She will not, you touched my daughter and she didn't like it. I may have disciplined her but it doesn't mean she was completely wrong," the women looked utterly shocked and stomped away her friends following behind her like little dogs.

"Can I please use that in the paper," Clark said suddenly.

"Do what you'd like," the playboy said with a shrug.

A bang at the front of the room where the double doors were caught their attention. Suddenly the doors blasted open and on instinct Bruce picked Charlie up covering her with his body. Clark took a step in front of them to block just in case.

"Well what do we have here? All the richest of Gothem in one place? I think it's a dream come true," a maniacal cackle left their lips making a shiver run down Bruce's back.

Joker.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cliff hanger!!!

How'd y'all like it?:)

goal that will get you a free chapter!

*20 votes*

*10 comment*

-comment-

-vote-

-charlierose