Chapter 21

Zhen Shi has been in prison for over eight weeks waiting for the investigation to be completed so that his trial can begin.

According to the disciplinary committee, they are still investigating the charges against the Empress, they did not allow anyone to visit him, not even brother Luo.

Emperor Peng Qi couldn't take it anymore and decided to go against the disciplinary committee to visit him in the night with the help of the Minister of Defense.

The Minister of Defense  place his trusted guards on duty for the night of the Emperor's visit .

Its normally a taboo for the Emperor to visit  a criminal that is accused of been a spy or murderer, so there was no way he could go in the afternoon.

At midnight, he sneaked into the prison and the guards on duty led him to where Zhen Shi was kept.

He was kept in a dark filthy room with only a lantern by the side of the window.

Zhen Shi was not expecting the Emperor and was silently starring at the roof wondering what the Emperor would be doing on the dragon bed all alone, would he be sad? Would he be thinking of him?
All these emotions broke his heart greatly.

Then, he suddenly heard footsteps approaching his cell and then he heard someone whispering his name.

"Zhen Shi, My Empress!"

Zhen Shi thought he was hallucinating or beginning to hear things or having mental issues, he was just thinking of this person, and now he can hear the familiar voice call his name?

He turned his head to the side to have a look at the iron gate where the voice was coming from, through the dark of the night he could see the Emperor and a guard standing at the gate holding a lantern and he abruptly stood up from the wooden bed in the cold of the night.

Once the iron gate was opened, Emperor Peng Qi rushed inside and signaled the guards to wait for him outside.

Immediately they left, he took Zhen Shi into his embrace, the deposed Empress was short of words and couldn't believe  that after two long months of dreaming of his beloved, he can finally see him, not just see him but also be held by him, same thing goes for Peng Qi.

Peng Qi did not even know what to say ,he just took hold of Zhen Shi's dried cold lips into his own mouth and they both kisses hungrily, the kiss lasted for so long, it was like they were trying to communicating their feelings, sadness, longing and sorrow through the kiss.

After they got enough taste of each other, Peng Qi took a look at Zhen Shi again, he noticed that Zhen Shi was now looking very thin and his white hair had faded and started to turn ash, although this does not still affect his natural beauty.

But peng Qi's heart felt a pang of pain spreading through his entire veins to his spine and to the sole of his feet.

He sat down and dragged Zhen Shi to sit on the cold wooden bed beside him, held him in his embrace and finally said.

"My Empress, am so sorry for all you are going through, I have been trying to get updates on the investigation but my mother has the Minister of Justice wrapped under her fingers, all they keep telling me at the court is that the investigation in still ongoing, so I have  decided to employed the help of the Minister of Defense to assist me. Zhen Shi, I promise you, I will get you out of here as soon as I can. I miss you every night till about to die, am sorry for all you have been through just because you are my Empress, I know my Mother is behind all of these, am truly sorry, please forgive your husband and hang in here a little longer"

Zhen Shi was heartbroken by the words of the Emperor and couldn't bear to keep his secret away from the Emperor anymore.

He knew that since the investigations continued this long, there is a possibility that they will definitely find out about him been sent to the palace by the Wutang sect and that will be a public embarrassment to the Emperor who was publicly defended him, so he has no other choice but to save the Emperor further embarrassment and  confess to him.