Chapter 4:: One Game

Chapter 4// One Game

I clutch two drinks tightly in my hand as I walk down the street towards Jesse’s house, grumbling slightly under my breath.

I stopped off at the Beach Café early this morning to get the beverages: I brought a mango smoothie for Jesse, and a chocolate frappe for Jennifer. I don’t even know if she likes them, but I thought it was worth a shot. Everyone loves chocolate right? The condensation from the cups runs onto my numbing fingers and I long to rub them dry on my jeans. I’m not in the best of moods today, thanks to my annoying little sister Tammy, but I need to put that behind me before I enter Jesse’s house. I know he asked me not to come, but I just can’t ignore the fact that his mother said she’d appreciate any help. I’m going to be there for her, no matter what Jesse says.

I walk up the driveway and towards the door. I’m less scared about entering than I was yesterday, but I’m still feeling quite anxious. Yesterday’s introduction was so awkward, and it’s fairly evident that I’m not welcome in Jesse’s home. I can only hope that Jennifer has a job or something that I can do to keep my mind off everything. I slide the second drink into the crook of my arm so I can ring the bell. However with my balance and stability, it’s not surprising in the least that it slips just as I reach up. I grab it quickly before it can fall, realising with a huff that the drinks are too big for me to balance them both in one arm. How else can I press the darned doorbell? I bite my lip and release an irritated sigh, clutching the drinks firmly in my hand as I lean my face close to the button.

Face it is.

I lean forward and press my cheek as hard as I can to the button, but before I have a chance to hear the two notes play, the door swings open.

“What are you doing?”

Slowly I pull back from the doorbell to look at Jesse, attempting to keep my face straight and salvage the little dignity I have left. Jesse looks as gorgeous as ever, his dirty blonde curls styled messily and eyebrow raised skywards. His eyes look at me weirdly, like I’m a crazy person, and I bet at this moment I don’t look too far from it. I close my eyes and exhale, fighting back the impulse to laugh. I’m pretty sure Jesse wouldn’t find it very funny.

“How long have you been stood there?”

“Long enough to see you kiss my doorbell,” Jesse replies. His voice isn’t friendly, but it’s not stone cold like yesterday which is a relief. “Why are you here? I told you not to come.”

“I bought drinks,” I offer weakly, lifting the smoothie up towards him. Jesse frowns as he looks at it, and I push it closer towards him, trying to put across the message that it’s for him. My hands are shaking slightly and I can feel my cheeks burning. Even if he does hate me, I still like him. Of course I’ll still act like a giggly pre-teen girl when he’s around. To my surprise, Jesse grabs the smoothie. I was expecting him to reject it for a minute there.

“Nice try,” He grunts, “This doesn’t make up for anything though. Just so you know.”

“I know.”

“Well in that case…thanks,” He grumbles in a low voice. His bare feet make soft thuds against the floor as he walks away, not bothering to close the front door. Is he allowing me inside? I take a hesitant step into the hallway, almost expecting him to turn and start yelling at me again like yesterday, but he doesn’t. “Mom’s upstairs again,” He calls back, taking a loud slurp from his smoothie. “She might be asleep so be quiet when you enter. You came early today.”

“Not that early,” I frown, “It’s eleven.”