6 - Home, Sweet Home

Himari had to spend another week in the hospital before she was finally allowed to leave.

The brunette still wouldn't rate herself as what you would consider as mentally stable, but the thought of being able to leave her depressing room was lifting her spirits. At this point, she was certain that she'd forever connect the colour grey with the sombre environment of this hospital ward.

This morning, she'd eagerly left her bed for the first time since she'd woken up from her comatose state. Recovery Girl had promised to come and pick her up to give her a ride home. That's why she wanted to be ready in time, not intending to make the friendly and overly supportive lady wait for her.

Even though it was still somewhat weird, the precious senior heroine had quickly earned a special place in what was left of Himari's heart. It was impossible to not like her, and Himari genuinely appreciated her concerns and her genuine efforts to help her out of the dark place she was currently in.

As she got out of her bed, Himari's attention was caught by something on her bedside table she spotted from the corner of her eyes. Something she was certain that hadn't been there before.

It was a transparent plastic bag, filled with what looked like her personal belongings. That was enough for a lightbulb to go off in her head. The bag contained everything she'd had with her the night she'd arrived here.

She reluctantly reached out, carefully taking out its folded contents. Apparently, someone had tried to clean her clothes. They were freshly washed, but whoever it had been hadn't managed to get rid of the bloodstains on them.

The black jean was fine, but the plain emerald sweater she'd worn that day was littered with stains.

A shiver crawled down her spine as her memories threatened to take control over her, ready to let her relive that night for the umpteenth time, but she forced herself to shake these unpleasant thoughts off.

She just needed something to wear on her way home. No matter what it was.

On top of her folded clothes was her smartphone, whose screen was completely cracked, the sight of the collateral damage causing her to grimace. Already accepting that it was probably a hopeless endeavour, she made an attempt to turn it on. Several times. Several unsuccessful times. But to no avail. Due to the phone's smashed state, she couldn't even get her memory card out of it.

Great. Just great. Not like I haven't enough other things to take care of.

Frowning at this inconvenience, Himari picked up her phone and approached the trash can, dropping it in there with a long-drawn melodramatic sigh.

The woman shuffled back to her bedside table and grabbed her folded package of clothing before she made her way to the tiny bathroom attached to her room, where she placed the clothes on the edge of the sink.

She slipped out of her plain white gown and her grandmaish hospital panties, throwing them into the laundry basket.

Just when she slipped into her freshly washed clothes something fell from the pile of clothes, landing on the floor with a loud clunk.

Himari knitted her brows in confusion and got down on her knees to scan the light grey bathroom tiles for the object that had caused the sound, her eyes roaming the floor until they landed on something shining in the corner of the room.

She picked it up and rose to her feet, curious what had managed to mix under her belongings.

When she unclenched her fist, a wave of goosebumps rushed over her body and an unwell feeling settled in the pit of her stomach.