40 - Frustration

With a loud bang, the door to the police station flew open and smashed against the wall behind it, causing the attention of every single person in the room to shift to the entrance and the individual responsible for that ruckus.

The lively atmosphere faded away in an instant and the variety of ongoing conversations lapsed into silence.

Several pairs of curious eyes settled on the clearly enraged woman with distinctive features who stomped into the foyer like a juggernaut, obviously not caring the slightest about the people that were staring at her with wide eyes and mouths agape as if she was an exotic attraction in a cabinet of curiosities.

The young man who currently staffed the information desk started to panic as the somewhat dishevelled brunette rolled in his direction like an unstoppable steam engine with the intention to kill. With a shaky hand, he placed down his cup of coffee and nervously gulped at the sight of what seemed to be his impending doom.

When she arrived at the desk her hands slammed down on it, adding another banging noise to the already taut atmosphere, even causing a few of the present people to visibly flinch as they attentively observed the scene unfolding in front of them.

The longer the pair of dark green eyes stared the young man down the more his lanky stature shrunk in his seat. The striking scar adorning the brunette's face didn't exactly help to make her appearance and the frightening aura emanating from her less intimidating.

The rookie forced himself to speak up to appear like a man, or at least half a man, but as he opened his mouth all that came out was a squeak, "H-hello. H-how c-c-"

"Detective Tsukauchi's office. Where?", Himari demanded with a low and stern voice, interrupting the stuttering picture of misery in front of her and sending shivers down his spine.

"D-down the hallway and t-the s-second door on the right", he stammered, raising his hand and using his index finger to point in the direction of Tsukauchi's office, starting a silent prayer for the detective the woman apparently had a bone to pick with.

Everyone at the police station admired Tsukauchi for his hardworking and earnest personality, and overall, most of them respected and looked up to him except for a few enviers. There was no doubt that he would easily handle the situation, but that knowledge alone didn't satisfy the curiosity of the attending policemen.

Every muscle in Himari's jaw tensed, and she forced a sickly-sweet plastic smile on her face before pressing out a "Thank you" between her gritted teeth.

Naturally, the poor boy behind the counter wasn't at fault for the furious state she was currently in – she was well aware of that fact, but she couldn't care less. At the moment, she had more important issues to deal with.

The previously prominent frown returned on her face, replacing the fake-ass smile, as she turned on her heels and started to head in the direction the boy had pointed at, stomping all the way to the second door on the right.

Her eyes darted up to the sign on the wall next to the door to ensure that it was the right office she was about to charge in like crazy. The last thing she needed right now was to be responsible for an old officer to suffer and die from a heart attack.

Satisfied with the name she read on the sign, she inhaled deeply, mentally preparing herself to unleash hell and give Tsukauchi the scolding of his life.

Not even bothering to knock on the door, Himari stormed into the office the same way she stormed into the police station, announcing her arrival with the door loudly smacking against the wall. She was more than ready to get rid of the anger she had carefully channelled on the way there only to freeze in the doorframe as she took in the sight in front of her.