48 - Useless

Aizawa and I positioned ourselves on the side, waiting for Thirteen to finally finish their lecture on rescue training for prospective heroes after what already felt like an eternity, but the kids were still staring at them, absorbing every word that left their spacesuit.

Trying my best to keep my mouth shut and not further anger the already bugged man next to me, I let my eyes wander to the bunch of students only to notice that they were wearing their hero costumes. Well, everybody except for Midoriya.

I probably should have taken notice of that a bit earlier, but my attention, as well as my mind, had been busy with someone else until now.

Taking my time with it, I scanned their appearances and inspected their costumes, not able to suppress a genuine smile at their efforts and the ideas they'd put into them.

Creative little shits.

By now, a few of them had eventually acknowledged my presence, sending me a nod or tiny wave accompanied by a grin to greet me.

That's when Thirteen came to the end of their seemingly endless speech, the absence of their voice causing me to shift my attention from the students back to the front. The Space Hero nodded at Aizawa, signalizing him that he could take over.

He cleared his throat before he spoke up, making me awfully aware of how close I was standing next to him. Not wanting to evoke a wrong impression in front of the kids, I quickly took a step back to increase the distance between the two of us, which caused Aizawa to raise an eyebrow while he sent me a puzzled look.

And they say I'm dense.

"Right, now that that's over-", Aizawa started but was immediately stopped as the lights in the USJ went black.

What the fuck?

I furrowed my brows and exchanged a quick glance with Aizawa and Thirteen, both as clueless as I was at the matter at hand.

My eyes darted around, trying to find a somewhat solid explanation for what was happening, when they spotted a purple fog appearing in the middle of the central plaza of the building, right in front of the fountain.

I have a bad feeling about this.

The fog extended further and further. Don't get me wrong. I don't mind random purple fog appearing out of nowhere. But I do have a fucking problem with it when those clouds suddenly start to give birth to what seems to be a company of people.

I have a really really bad feeling about this.

All sorts of weird-looking guys left the embrace of the cloud and gathered at the plaza. Considering their appearances, they didn't seem to be here for tea and a friendly chit-chat. I know that it's not nice to judge someone based on their appearance, but I think this time I can make an exception.

Not wanting to upset the students, I stepped forward and nudged Aizawa, subtly pointing at the plaza and what seemed to be a tiny army of bizarre-looking people emerging from the fog, already aware that something was incredibly wrong here, "Uh, you might want to have a look at that. Please tell me that this is part of today's rescue training?"

Aizawa's eyes followed the direction I was pointing at and widened as he spotted what I wanted him to see. He instantly turned back to the students, "Stay together and don't move! Thirteen, Hi-- Ishihara – protect the students."

Fuck. Not part of today's rescue training. Of course.

One by one, the students seemed to realize what was going on at the plaza down the stairs, causing a murmur to go through the crowd.