55 - Misunderstanding

A low grumbling supplanted the tranquil silence in the room as Aizawa rolled on his side, dozily acknowledging the lack of warmth on his right. With a bleary sigh, he reached out with the expectation to get a hold on the woman lying next to him, intending to scoot closer to her to eradicate the distance between them.

Too bad that the woman who should be lying next to him wasn't there.

Instead of Himari's smooth skin, his hand grasped at nothing, landing on the crinkled bedsheet, which caused him to let out another grumble.

Confused by the lack of Himari within his reach, he knitted his brows and forced his eyes to open, only to confirm that he was indeed alone in bed. Not entirely sure if his brain had blessed him with an unusually pleasant dream tonight or if it had been real, he let his gaze roam through the room, successfully failing to stifle a yawn. Despite his drowsy state, it didn't take him long to realize that it was indeed Himari's bedroom he was in, causing the hero's dizziness to disappear within a split second.

He couldn't deny that, for a change, he'd slept quite well tonight, even if it hadn't been a lot. A circumstance he surely wasn't complaining about – quite the contrary. When it comes to sleep, he usually followed the principle of quality before quantity anyway.

Induced by the absence of the woman that should be occupying the other half of the mattress, he patted the empty spot again, noticing with a frown that it lacked any warmth.

Concluding that she must have left the bed already a while ago, Aizawa reluctantly got up, rubbing his face and raking his hands through his tousled hair before he gathered his clothes from the floor, promptly slipping into them.

A quick glance at the clock on the bedside table revealed that it was undeniably way too early to be awake on a Sunday. Letting out an almost exaggeratedly loud and long-drawn yawn, the raven-haired sleepyhead assumed that he would probably find Himari downstairs.

As he left the room, his eyes caught another glimpse of his jacket that had eventually ended up on the floor next to the bed, the corners of his mouth to unconsciously tugging upwards at the sight, but it amplified his urge to go downstairs and find the freckled brunette as fast as possible even more.

Pattering down the stairs, he scanned the open living room. No trace of her. Not a single sound could be heard in the house. Even though he was certain that he was alone, he stepped into the kitchen to make sure that she really wasn't there, only to have his assumption confirmed.

He was alone.

And this fact was enough to fully restore all the brain cells that had gone missing in action yesterday, somewhere between the doorstep and the way to the bedroom. Now that his rational thinking celebrated its long-awaited comeback, the alarm bells immediately began to sound in his head.

Letting out a Himari-like flood of expletives, he crammed out his phone, instantly searching for Himari's contact information.

It hadn't even been a minute, and his mind had already created a broad variety of scenarios and possible explanations for why she was gone, not a single one of them being slightly favourable.

Much to his dismay and not exactly helping to silence all the worried thoughts buzzing through his head, he almost jumped out of his skin as a phone loudly started to ring in the hallway the moment he lowered his thumb on the call button.

Tempted to facepalm at the fact that she hadn't taken her phone with her, wherever she'd gone, he followed the sound and ended the call as he detected it on the cupboard. Shoving it in one of his pockets, Aizawa paused for a second to ponder on what he should do next.