38 - Could It Be?

The fancy event wasn't officially over yet, but after All Might's extra announcement of the total amount of donations that were gathered over the course of the night, most of the guests decided that it was time to leave, the U.A. teaching staff included.

Himari and Aizawa were currently standing a bit apart from the entrance of the enormous building the gala took place in because of the masses swarming out of it.

Both craned their necks as they scanned the crowd in a desperate attempt to spot their friends somewhere in between but to no avail. The raven-haired bombshell in burgundy and the blond loudmouth were nowhere to be found.

Himari kept her eyes glued to the entrance while the man next to her fished his phone out of his pockets, trying to get a hold of Hizashi, sighing as he repeatedly ended up on his friend's voicemail. Reluctantly, he scrolled up to call Nemuri.

"Kayama?", uttered Aizawa as his call was finally picked up after three attempts, relief resonating in his voice. "Is it really that hard to answer a call? What were you doi-... No. Wait. Please, don't answer that question. My bad."

Aizawa's voice drew Himari's attention, who eventually decided to abandon her current scouting mission. She turned around and focused on his face. Unable to hear whatever Nemuri was saying and definitely too impatient to wait for the phone call to end, she hoped to decipher it by attentively observing Aizawa's facial expressions.

The man's gaze was directed on the ground in front of him, his brows furrowed in concentration as he focused on Nemuri's voice, trying to fade out the noise surrounding him.

Since that little incident on the dance floor, Himari had become hyper aware of her colleague-friend-training partner-whatever – anyway, the man standing next to her. This weird development definitely wasn't a welcome one. Suddenly, his presence triggered her self-consciousness and insecurity, causing both to shoot through the roof. It hadn't been like this before. It was like someone randomly flipped a switch in her brain. It irked her.

Lost in thoughts, Himari's moss-green orbs unconsciously started to explore his face again, lingering there, not even considering to leave, while he was listening to whatever their raven-haired friend was saying.

"Where are you? We're waiting here in front of the building", Aizawa said, who was more than ready to leave now that he had miraculously managed to somehow survive the evening.

His dark eyes unglued themselves from the ground, meeting Himari's and returning her gaze, but she immediately averted her eyes in embarrassment as she realized that he had basically caught her ogling at him, the outline of a faint blush appearing on her cheeks.

But he wasn't allowed to savour the sight in front of him. Nemuri's words caught his attention and he spoke up again, "What? Why would he-...Oh. I see."

Aizawa's answer caused Himari to worry. He? As in Hizashi? Had something happened? Was it serious? Why hadn't they noticed? Why hadn't she gone back to apologize? Within seconds she started to imagine every worst-case scenario she could come up with, desperately waiting for Aizawa to continue, but he was too busy with absent-mindedly staring off into space while rubbing his stubble with his free hand.

Just when she imagined how a drunk Hizashi might have ended up leaving the gala with a woman who randomly turned out to be an assassin that wanted to murder him for whatever reason, Aizawa sighed and ended the phone call, "Alright. Yeah, I'll take her home. Thanks for taking care of him. See you, Kayama."

The moment his phone left his ear, Himari started to babble, "Oh fuck. Is he alright? Is it about Hizashi? Has something ha-"

"Yamada got completely wasted. Kayama brought him home about half an hour ago and made sure that he's fine. No need to worry. She said she'll stay there tonight", he interrupted the chaotic brunette who looked like she was close to hyperventilating.