Mistakes

Yo's POV

I'm so tired of the Moon and Star Competition, and it hasn't even happened yet! I've been learning the dance moves, but the seniors seem to think we have to be perfect. They are making us practice relentlessly. I had stayed up so late last night playing at the carnival with Forth that when I woke up this morning my eyes were sore and red. I couldn't even think about putting my contacts in, so I'm wearing my big, black glasses.

I know this look doesn't do me any favors. I'm ugly enough without them so I definitely don't want anyone to see me looking worse. I'm hoping that neither Pha nor Forth will show up at practice and see me looking like this, but of course, since this is my luck, Pha walked in after I've only been here for a few minutes.

Right away, I notice that something is wrong. Pha is staring as we practice our dance moves (yep, still dancing). He's staring with this strange expression on his face. At first, I'm wondering who he's watching, but after a minute I'm starting to think he is looking at me. Do my glasses look that bad? I try to keep my mind on the dance and my partner, Nate, but his staring is really starting to weird me out.

 Do my glasses look that bad? I try to keep my mind on the dance and my partner, Nate, but his staring is really starting to weird me out

At the first break, I grabbed my backpack and pulled out my water bottle. I was just sitting down to take a drink when Nate came over to sit by me. Luckily Pha and his weirdness had finally gone outside with his friends.

"I didn't know you wore glasses, Ai'Yo," she smiled her adorable smile at me. She didn't call me four eyes, so it's a good day to buy a lottery ticket. We've been spending a lot of time together preparing for this competition and I really like Nate. She's sweet and very pretty, but she's also kind and smart and really fun.

"Yeah, I've had them since I was little. I got contacts last year, but my eyes hurt so badly this morning that I couldn't wear them today."

"I think they look really cute."

"It's okay, Ai'Nate. You don't have to try to make me feel better," I said, trying for an I-don't-care-attitude. "I know I look ugly."

"No, really. You look cute," she must have been feeling bad for me, so I smiled at her and said thanks even though I knew she was lying.

Ten minutes later we're back to working on our dance practice (it's seriously never ending) and I've forgotten all about Pha's weird staring. Nate and I are smiling at each other as we go through all the steps of the dance. She knows it really well by now, so we're both smiling and I'm feeling relaxed.

When a food break rolls around I am so glad to be able to stop and eat. I am absolutely starving. The food boxes are finally here and Pring walks in looking like a model in a university advertisement.

"Everyone please remember to thank last year's Campus Star for this delicious food. She is treating all of us today!" Ging said.

"Isn't P'Pring beautiful?" Nate whispered to me, "I heard that she's dating P'Pha, the Campus Moon from last year."